Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Opinions needed on swapping 2003 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Default Opinions needed on swapping 2003 speakers

Hey. I just bought a used Sonata (pearl white, tint, moon roof) 2 weeks ago and I'm "lovin' it." However, the speakers are shot.

I need some opinions.

A) When putting in 6.5s in the doors, would you recommend having the stock tweeters cut off? The reason I ask is because the new speakers I buy will certainly have tweeters in them, and I don't want my new, better sounding speakers being hindered volume-wise because the stock tweeters may be blown. Or.....would you buy a "componenet" speaker set that comes with 2 tweeters in addition to the 6.5 inch door speakers.

B) I was thinking Pioneer, 3-way speakers in the back, and Pioneer 2 or 3-way speakers in the doors because they're relatively cheap (just under $99 each set) and are a trusted brand. But if you read question 'A' you probably understand that with the tweeter question I have, I may have to spring a lot more money on a different brand (Boston Acoustics) that offers a component system. And if that's the case I'm going to have to also buy Boston Acoustic 6x9s to match.

C) Am I on the right track here?

D) Just FYI I will be purchasing an Alpine 9856 deck with iPod dock connector either at the same time or the next pay check after the speakers are done.

More FYI, the Hyundai Sonata rocks. I paid $8700 for the aformentioned with 47.8k miles, with everything seeming to be in good or great condition. Everyone asks if it's new because it's so damn clean.

Hey if you find me as captivating as I do after 6 Mountain Dews and want more questions, well, sure, I've got another:

The only problem I can see with this car, is that directly infront of the driver-side front wheel, whatever black cover thing is absent except for the little piece where it connects. On the right wheel, that black piece is full in place. What the hell is this thing? Does it just protect the under-the-hood-stuff from being splashed by the rotating tires? Am I at risk by having 1/2 of it? WTF is it?!