Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Default power steering question

Hey y'all I just bought a 02 sonata I think its 2.4 got good deal on it but maybe too good.I was told power steering hoses leaked I replaced lines but forgive me I dont know the part name at the end of the steering colum at firewall there is a cast peice looks like only 2 bolts hold it down on rack and pinion there is 2 lines threaded into front side and 2 that come out the side of it.this peice I'm unfamiliar with and not sure how to fix

Here is what has happenes the line I'm assuming is the preassure line off front of ps pump treads into the front top hole in this cast peice when I put my wrench on old line as soon as I put a little pressure on it to take it loose the cast cracked and whole right side of threads and side of this cast peice fell off now I am unable to thread my new line into it.plz forgive my ignorance in steering part names I'm good under hood but havnt been doing this long.so I'm wondering is this part replacable able to bypass so I can drive or anything without purchasing somthing very expensive?

It has 2 bolts holding it down to rack n pinion and looks as if it has a seal ive been on google for hours and looking at new rack n pinion for 480 bucks but even on the used ones ive looked at pics of I dont see this peice.it almost looks as if I tried to pull column and took the 2 bolts out it would come apart but before I get adventerous and wreck sumn I'm hoping sumbody could guide me and understand my babbling trying to figure out this parts name and if I can replace it.id appreciate any help and I appologise agin just can't seem to find my answers ive mostly been woring on my old f250 ive never seen a setup without the steering column shaft even visible

Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM

I did manage to get a decent pic finally hope it helps ty yall

Attached Thumbnails power steering question-img_20140916_093949_108.jpg