Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata 3.3L Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Default Sonata 3.3L Clatter

I just purchased a 2006 Sonata with the 3.3L. It has 63K on it and has the clattering engine for about 15sec when cold with an ambient of 30F. The engine oil was recently changed. It does not clatter after the 10min wait period per TSB 08-EM-001-1. Will the noise likely get worse and need the timing chain tensioners replaced within another 75,000 miles? I can return the car within 7 days and get my money back. It is an extremely clean car, the only bad is it rattles when cold. Would you recommend returning the car to the dealer and getting my money back?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 PM

If the dealer will not repair the timing chain tensioners for free, then I would definately return the car and get your money back. The problem will not get better over time. There too many good cars out there to put up with this sort of thing. My 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM

I have a 2009 Sonata with V6. The noise it makes at start up in awful. It is really loud after sitting 30 minutes of so when hot. The dealer has looked into the problem twice each time I was told it was performing as designed. The last trip to the dealer I took a CD with several audio clips of the noise. The noise reminds me on a old hydraulic lifter gone bad. I can't believe Hyundai would "design' an engine to make such a noise.

I have contacted Hyundai's corp headquarters with a complaint. After 4 weeks, I am sill waiting for the district service rept to contact me.

Good luck with your problem.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by rubbil
I just purchased a 2006 Sonata with the 3.3L. It has 63K on it and has the clattering engine for about 15sec when cold with an ambient of 30F. The engine oil was recently changed. It does not clatter after the 10min wait period per TSB 08-EM-001-1. Will the noise likely get worse and need the timing chain tensioners replaced within another 75,000 miles? I can return the car within 7 days and get my money back. It is an extremely clean car, the only bad is it rattles when cold. Would you recommend returning the car to the dealer and getting my money back?

Needed upated tensioners a long time ago.... it's obvious, the thing hashes on cold start... over 60,000 and you is second owner buying it used from dealer, tell them replace the tensioners, or give your money back.

The TSB aint worth the paper it wrote on. If they hashed cold for us, they got replaced... Good paying job till Hyundai cut the labor time in 1/2 on us...

Last edited by sbr711; 03-09-2010 at 05:43 PM.