Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Engine Noise-Valve Clatter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Default Engine Noise-Valve Clatter?

Dear Forum Members,
Needed your guidance on this small problem which I am having. I got my used 2007 GLS sonata about 2 weeks back and I am enjoying the car thoroughly.
Based on the guidance of the forum, I have changed the engine oil to a synthetic oil, and also got a transmission flush done, also changed the radiator fluid. The car is performing well, but I have 2 issues which will need some clarification.
1. When I am accelerating there is a clatter kind of sound coming from the engine bay between a certain RPM range which is between 2200RPM to 2700RPM, this sound comes only when accelerating and when the car is in motion. If I park the car and increase the RPM to 2200 to 2700 this sound is not coming. This sound is more pronounced when I am travelling upslope and to best describe it the sound is like some ring vibrating in an aluminum can. (I seriously don’t know how to describe it). Do you think this sound is comparable a valve clatter? (I spoke to the dealership Tuttle Click Hyundai Irvine and the service advisor there dismissed my point stating that 2.4 liter Hyundai’s make a lot of engine noise and did not even try to listen to the point I was making.
2. When I travel on an uneven road the right door makes a lot of noise and it feels like the door is loose and vibrating against the body of the car.
3. Do you think the two above points are problems? Also can these be repaired under warranty as I have about 32,000 Miles left on the warranty?
Do let me know your thoughts.
Regards
Veneet Raj

Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Default RE: Engine Noise-Valve Clatter?

1. When I am accelerating there is a clatter kind of sound coming from the engine bay between a certain RPM range which is between 2200RPM to 2700RPM, this sound comes only when accelerating and when the car is in motion. If I park the car and increase the RPM to 2200 to 2700 this sound is not coming. This sound is more pronounced when I am travelling upslope and to best describe it the sound is like some ring vibrating in an aluminum can. (I seriously don’t know how to describe it). Do you think this sound is comparable a valve clatter? (I spoke to the dealership Tuttle Click Hyundai Irvine and the service advisor there dismissed my point stating that 2.4 liter Hyundai’s make a lot of engine noise and did not even try to listen to the point I was making.
Lots of things under the hood can make rattling sounds, but what you describe with the accelerator action almost sounds like a pre-detonation knock. Next time you need to fill up the car, use premium or the highest octane listed on the pumps. If the noise goes away, then it suggests to me something is amiss with engine management system like a failing knock sensor. If it doesn't go way, then it's likely something mechanical.

2. When I travel on an uneven road the right door makes a lot of noise and it feels like the door is loose and vibrating against the body of the car.
The door latch is loose and/or the striker needs adjusting. This should be a warranty repair by the dealer. It should not take more than 10 minutes to fix once they get at it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Hello Ken,

Thank you very much for your response.

I will fill up with the highest octane rating and get the door fixed at the dealership.

thank you for your response.

Regards
Veneet

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 PM

DO mind about youre engine oil grade too ...fully sythetic 5w-40 APL approved should also give u a good engine responce.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 AM

Ken99 and rockfella74 excellent diagnosis, I went to a Chevron petrol station and filled the most expensive gasoline with Techron and the engine noise has stopped. Drove more than 40 miles in varied traffic situations to confirm this.
Thanks a million for your help.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 AM

just makesure its ron97 above unleaded fuel

im juz glad to help out..

rockerfella174

Brunei Darussalam
NorthEast Borneo Island