Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata - Hunter alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Default Sonata - Hunter alignment

Hello I took my 2012 Sonata 3000 miles into dealer for Hunter Alignment today. It cured slight steering instability. No mechanical repairs. No charge. I have attached the final print-out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sonata alignment.pdf (15.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Default Follow-up

The Sonata is running fine now - that Hunter Machine is fine business.

Last edited by gcleeton; 12-07-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the report, I may be having a similar problem.

Please describe the slight steering instability you were having.
Was it a hwy speeds 60-70 mph?

klxdrt

Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 AM

It was starting at 55 on highway. Too frequent slight corrections were needed.
I think that 7500 is too long to wait before a check on a new car. Gil

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM

Gil,

I experienced similar at 60 or so. I notice on your PDF that the tire pressures are different as to axle & front-back.

Front: 36 35
Rear: 35 36

How much do you think the new tire pressures help?

I'm going to change my tire pressures & see what happens. Will post results.

Thanks,

Klxdrt

Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Klxdrt I think that those were the pressures when it went in for inspection give or take a pound.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM

gcleeton,

Thanks, I thought they were the pressures recommended by the Hunter system.

I showed your pdf to my dealer's svc mgr, and he was familiar with the process and intimated had the Hunter system in your pdf.

During our discussion, I drew a visual of how/why the Hyndai steering works, he agreed and mentioned the he thought Hyundai would be issuing a software upgrade. No time frame.

klxdrt

Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 AM

klxdrt I think you should check that your dealer has the StraightTrak attachment added to the Hunter machine. My dealer had recently received it. See Hunter Engineering Company, Leading Manufacturer of Automotive Wheel Service Equipment videos.
The car is now stable but a bit sensitive to highway camber. I asked if they could alter power steering software but they said not. Is that the software you refer to?
We had our first Buffalo snow yesterday but I had no time to test the traction control. I have the OEM Hankook Optimo 431 tires do you? Gil

Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by gcleeton
klxdrt I think you should check that your dealer has the StraightTrak attachment added to the Hunter machine. My dealer had recently received it. See Hunter Engineering Company, Leading Manufacturer of Automotive Wheel Service Equipment videos.
The car is now stable but a bit sensitive to highway camber. I asked if they could alter power steering software but they said not. Is that the software you refer to?
We had our first Buffalo snow yesterday but I had no time to test the traction control. I have the OEM Hankook Optimo 431 tires do you? Gil
gcleeton

I'm not sure if my dealer has said attachment, he did look at a printout of your PDF and said they had the machine. My salesmen said they got the machine just before I bought the car. Svc mgr confirmed my Sonata had the treatment.

As to the software you mentioned, yes. He said he expects Hyundai to issue a software update. That's all I know at this time. I have Khumo tires on my Sonata not sure of model, but it's a new one. I have the GLS trim with the 16" alloy wheels, and the svc mgr said he has seen less steering/stability problems with the std 16" wheels/tires. I'm sure the tires have something to do with it.

I really appreciate the good info you proved me.

klxdrt

Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 PM

KLXDRT I wonder if your dealer means power steering software? Mine said there was none! It might be good if high speed power steering could be reduced a bit, even at expense of low speed assistance which is very good.
My car is 2012 SE with 18 inch wheels.
Some Sonatas had flat spots on tires probably due to long stationary storage at quayside. I wonder if drift was caused by tires then rotating at slightly different speeds on curves and then flat spots going in and out of phase causing drift? Mine did not have drift one way it just needed too frequent corrections either way. Now it is neutral and OK. Enjoy the Hunter machine it is great entertainment.

Quick Reply: Sonata - Hunter alignment