Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata side rear mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Default Sonata side rear mirror

I'm looking to buy a Sonata and realize Sonata has fixed side mirrors and apears to be the only Hyundai model with fixed mirror, all other models on the dealership's lot have foldable morrors. The sales guy told me that the story is Hyundai president personally drove Sonata and disliked folding morror wind noise and dictated to change to fixed mirror! Sure, he does not have to pay for one if breaks. How robust is the side rear mirror? Anyone broke one and how much to fix it? Any aftermarket part available? Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Sonata side rear mirror

I did some reserch on the internet and found the answers. The repair of the side rear view mirror is a $400+ repair job (OE dealership repair, paint to match color) and no aftermarket part available for 06 and newer Sonatas. I know sooner or later I will crash the side mirror and the folding ones saved me more than 3-4 times on my GM cars. No way I am going to pay $400 for a side mirror. Thank you Hyundai president! You must have a hugeparking spot that you don't need to worry about this.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM

The sales guy told me that the story is Hyundai president personally drove Sonata and disliked folding morror wind noise and dictated to change to fixed mirror!
Were his lips moving when he made that statement?

Sure, he does not have to pay for one if breaks.
You actually bought that line from a car salesman? I doubt the president of multi-national comglomerate like Hyundai Industries drives anything at all, much less a pedestrian, mid-size car like the Sonata. As far as folding mirrors go, many competative models have fixed side mirrors, many have folding mirrors. If folding side mirrors is a selling point to you, then don't shop a Sonata (or an Altima 2.5 or a Camry CE or a dozen other cars).

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the "constructive" inputs. No, I did not believe the salesman's story and that is why I did my own research. Further research shows the non-foldable side mirror is only on US made vehicles. Korea madeSonatas are with foldable side mirror which can be orderedat a very reasonable price at

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/sto...roducts_id=869

Obviously, a lot of people share this concern and worth bringing this overseas OE part to US consumers. My dealership told me that they do not sell Korean made parts and their repair cost is $275 installed.

Hope this information helps others too.