Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Steering wheel lock and Key won't turn normal fix not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 01:09 AM
Default Steering wheel lock and Key won't turn normal fix not working.

So this has happened to me before so I generally know what I am doing but for what ever reason I cannot get it to work. I have a 2008 Sonata.

So like I said this has happened to me before several times and as such I did the turn wheel while turning the key to start the car thing. Usually I could only turn the wheel a couple of degrees but this time the wheel spun almost a full rotation before locking and now no matter what I do I cannot fix it. Now at first I was turning the key while turning the wheel but I was so shocked the wheel kept turning (turning more then the couple of degrees) I stopped turning the key and just kept turning the wheel. I turned it back and forth before it locked up. I then remembered what I should have been doing and tried the normal fix which did not work.

I have spent several hours now trying all kinds of things that I looked up to fix this and I got nowhere.

Last edited by Couchpotato; 06-26-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:38 AM

If all the normal things don't work, removal of the steering wheel to gain access to the inside may be required. Not a job for the novice.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:14 AM

If the steering wheel was turning then the ignition lock cylinder may be stuck.
Cause the steering wheel was turning means the lock was not engaged and the key not turning was independent of the steering wheel lock
This means there is something wrong with the lock
Can try spraying WD-40 and jiggle the key into the lock to see if that free it up.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
If all the normal things don't work, removal of the steering wheel to gain access to the inside may be required. Not a job for the novice.
That's what I thought/feared. I am having a mechanic friend come and take a look.

Originally Posted by avisitor
If the steering wheel was turning then the ignition lock cylinder may be stuck.
Cause the steering wheel was turning means the lock was not engaged and the key not turning was independent of the steering wheel lock
This means there is something wrong with the lock
Can try spraying WD-40 and jiggle the key into the lock to see if that free it up.
I will try this before my friend dismantles the steering wheel.

​​​​​​​I will tell you all how it goes.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
What would be required to do this? What should be done to the inside?

Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 PM

A lot depends on what you find.
I hesitate to suggest you getting involved with this because you will be playing around with airbags and if you are not familiar with procedures , best left to someone that knows their way around there..
Something you might try, if you can get the key into a position where you can depress the button on the underside of the steering column just under the key tumbler,, you might be able to remove the tumbler assy and see what is going on inside. Might see something , might not. When you depress the release button you should be able to remove the tumbler assy.