Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Default Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?

Hi,

I'm planning on test driving in the near future. I've never driven either a hybrid or a Hyundai and so am looking for some thoughts. Is there an issue with rust? A friend of my son-in-law had one and said it had significant rust after only a few years. I have no idea as to how the car was maintained. No matter what new car I buy it'll be a bit of a learning curve since my cars are both a '95 and '97. The rust issue - is there is one - concerns me being that I've had my '95 (Buick Riviera) for 26 years and there isn't a spot of rust on it.

Thanks for any advice. Out of the 3 trims for Sonata, I like the Limited package best. I looked through the available colors via the "build your car" on the website, and unfortunately the combination of interior and exterior colors I want seem to not be available based on inventory search on the website. So is ordering one a viable option? Our local dealer has a few but even if I like the car after driving it I don't like the color combinations they have.

I like the idea of going a bit 'greener' with the better mpg afforded by the hybrid. I like the idea of EV even better but the infrastructure, at least in my area, just isn't there yet. I'm in a rural area and thus it's a rather 'early adopter' mode part of my county. Speaking of rural areas, how is the Sonata in snow and ice? We live on a fairly steep hill but have managed well with my FWD Buick and also have an AWD Jeep.

Last edited by three4rd; 09-03-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:30 PM

I have a 2016 SE Hybrid I just bought used and it seems to be a good value. Nothing fancy, but equipped well enough. I can't find any fault in getting 43 mpg in town with nothing to plug in. Compare it to both Camry's and Accord's Hybrid models. Between the 3 they'll be something you might like? The price between models with and with out hybrid technology has really dropped over the years. And the trunk space is no longer compromised. My 1st was a 2010 Camry that was about $6k more than a similar non-hybrid. Unless you're a high mileage driver, they were not a great buy when new. They were better for the environment and never a worry when taking an emissions test at the DEQ. We need more charging stations before I'd dare get a plug in. Someday...

Old 09-05-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by oredav
We need more charging stations before I'd dare get a plug in. Someday...
Exactly. I like the idea of EV alot, but the infrastructure just isn't there, at least not in my rural area. We'd be considered in 'early adopter mode' where we live. If I like the Sonata when I drive it, enough so to buy it - I think I'd go for the Limited package - probably have to special order as mentioned above. Lack of inventory is a big issue now.

Last edited by three4rd; 09-05-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:04 AM

There is always the cost of a replacement battery pack for a hybrid. You might want to get some idea of the replacement cost for that before you purchase one so you don't get knocked off your feet if and when the battery pack needs to be replaced.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is always the cost of a replacement battery pack for a hybrid. You might want to get some idea of the replacement cost for that before you purchase one so you don't get knocked off your feet if and when the battery pack needs to be replaced.
Good point. Did some quick research and see that the projected life of a Sonata battery pack is 6-10 years. Some sites say 10-15 and well over 100k miles. What I don't want to do is wind up keeping any new car as long as I did my '95 Riviera. Not even sure I'll like how it drives. I like the idea of something with far better mpg than anything I've had before.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:52 AM

Lets face it there is no comparison between a Rivieria and any Hyundai. Mileages will be like night and day so will the comfort part.
As long as you are aware of the possible expense up the road which could be earlier than contemplated, enjoy what you feel you want.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Lets face it there is no comparison between a Rivieria and any Hyundai. Mileages will be like night and day so will the comfort part.
As long as you are aware of the possible expense up the road which could be earlier than contemplated, enjoy what you feel you want.
Not sure what you're suggesting...that the Hyundai is likely a more comfortable ride than the Riviera? Surely mpg is not comparable! I've been reading that the old, big American cushy car feel really isn't there anymore with the newer cars. So I'm anticipating the Hyundai to feel a bit 'stiffer'. This is why I was hoping for more input on this thread. Only way to tell is to drive one.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by three4rd
Not sure what you're suggesting...that the Hyundai is likely a more comfortable ride than the Riviera? Surely mpg is not comparable! I've been reading that the old, big American cushy car feel really isn't there anymore with the newer cars. So I'm anticipating the Hyundai to feel a bit 'stiffer'. This is why I was hoping for more input on this thread. Only way to tell is to drive one.
You have answered your own question better than anyone else about what you want. "Go drive one". That is a good way to compare. It doesn't cost anything but your time. I went from a '15 Lexus ES 350 (totaled) to a '16 Sonata SE Hybrid and you'd think that would be a letdown? Well, it's spartan by comparison but the Sonata gets 2x the M.P.G. and accelerates very well for a Hybrid. It's easy to drive, cheap to insure and has enough extras to get by. I do think if it's used, get the highest trim you can. Or if you can afford it when it's new? Pickings are slim, so good luck.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:47 AM

Oredav...thanks. Sounds like it will be a compromise in overall quality at least comparatively speaking. Surely in terms of features, technology, etc. it's like a starship compared to a canoe, but surely the Riviera was top-of-the-line when I bought it. I'm trying to stay local for various reasons and unfortunately there are no higher-end dealers (Lexus, Audi, etc.) right near my home town. I'm thinking now to also test drive some used cars. You mention the Lexus - I noticed that the local Hyundai dealer has a '16 (I think) Lexus ES. Probably a better deal than ordering a new Hyundai in a limited package. As you said, pickings ARE slim - not finding the color / package combination I'd want anywhere around. It'll only get worse with the semi-conductor issue and current manufacturing shutdowns. Crazy times we're in.

Last edited by three4rd; 09-08-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:46 AM

[QUOTE=three4rd;61840]Oredav...thanks. Sounds like it will be a compromise in overall quality at least comparatively speaking. Surely in terms of features, technology, etc. it's like a starship compared to a canoe, but surely the Riviera was top-of-the-line when I bought it. I'm trying to stay local for various reasons and unfortunately there are no higher-end dealers (Lexus, Audi, etc.) right near my home town. I'm thinking now to also test drive some used cars. You mention the Lexus - I noticed that the local Hyundai dealer has a '16 (I think) Lexus ES. Probably a better deal than ordering a new Hyundai in a limited package. As you said, pickings ARE slim - not finding the color / package combination I'd want anywhere around. It'll only get worse with the semi-conductor issue and current manufacturing shutdowns. Crazy times we're in.[/QUOTE

Whatever you buy now will be higher than seems reasonable, but that is the current predicament. If you need "wheels", you have no choice but to pay the extra. I do agree it won't get better for awhile. A '16 Lexus ES is a damn fine car. Both the 350 or 300h. Lexus has a Forum, too. I learned a lot from it. Do your homework. Buying from a dealer adds 10% or more to a used car price, but everybody knows that. Buying a new car now, ever heard the term, "additional dealer mark-up"? New vs. used? That's your call. Buying used off a lot? I guess I'd try to get something that's Certified? I've never owned a Riviera, but they were plush. Some of the most comfy seats there were with a luxurious interior, unique styling and innovations . And a million problems. I'd still try lots of cars including an SUV, if you have the time? Those CR-Vs and such are a fun drive. Lastly, do you want something that's cheap to insure, probably reliable and only needs to gas up half as much? Or.... do you wanna look cool? I actually think a Riv owner would like the Lexus. I bought mine because I loved Toyota reliability with a car a grandpa might drive? But I also wanted something with some guts that still took Regular. When I was a kid, seniors that wanted something to enjoy their retirement in bought Caddy's. Some things you never forget.

Last edited by oredav; 09-09-2021 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Sonata hybrid limited...any advice?