Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Timing Belt Break in 9 month after a Garage changed a new.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Default Timing Belt Break in 9 month after a Garage changed a new.

I got a 1998 Sonata. I wassuggested by a small garageto change the timing belt last Christmas. They didn't do a good job. Enginebecame not smooth and very tight after their changing. At 3000rpm, rambling noise was heard and I can felt the engine shaking. Brought back to the garage several times, but they just couldn't fix it. Finally they said they won't work on it any more.I knew something was wrong there, so I went to a Hyundai Car Dealer garage for a fix 2 month later. They fixed the problem. They said the balancing shaft was not installed properly and they did some adjustment. The engine running well after this fix. However, lastweek, the engine lost the power while I was driving. I towed back to the hyundai dealer's garage for a checking and they told me that the timing belt was broken.The timing belt was brokenonly about 10 month later after I changed a new timing belt!!!! Now the whole engine will needed to be replaced. I don't know who should be responsible for this damages. The 1st garage for sure did a bad job, but how can I prove this timing belt break was caused by their bad work? The 2nd garage, dealer's garage, said that they just made some adjustment to the balancing shaft. The belt was installed by the 1st garage. Now, nobody wants to take the blame, but me is suffering from this damage. Any one can give me some ideas on this case? Who should be responsible for this damage?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Timing Belt Break in 9 month after a Garage changed a new.

Sorry to hear that but this is why I always go back to a dealer for that kind of specialized work. My advice is to talk to the dealer and get them to document that the problem was caused by the other mechanic and then take the mechanic shop to small claims court.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Default RE: Timing Belt Break in 9 month after a Garage changed a new.

NovaResource, Thanks for your advice.