Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Transmission problems after drain and fill

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 PM
Default Transmission problems after drain and fill

I have a 2002 sonata gls v6 with 156,000 miles. I bought it at 152,000 miles and it has ran pretty solid. I figured to change the fluids since i didnt know the history of the vehicle, and the tranny was a little slugish shifting when it was cold. I drained 5 quarts(about) and put in 5 quarts. The first day or two it ran the same as before and then it wouldnt shift past 25mph... the rpms will rise to 4,000 in second gear like its stuck in 2nd. And a loud noticeable clunk at about 3,000 rpms. I dont want to push it so i stay at 20mph , a mechanic friend of mine said i filled it to much according to the dipstick and since theres codes but no codes for tranny(for o2 sensor). I drained about 1 quart and then nothing was on the dipstick, so i put about half quart of the same stuff back in to get some on the stick. Car still runs crappy. Any ideas? When i drained the 5 quarts it was warm so since fluid expands it may have been really 4.5quarts(cold) and i put in 5 quarts of new fluid (cold) which may have expanded to over fill the tranny.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:21 PM

Hyundai is very particular about what tranny fluids go into it.
Did you use the right one? SPIII??
If not then you may have just .... well, you understand.
Maybe you can find a cheap used tranny??

I hope it is nothing and all will be well.
Good luck

Old 02-26-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Hyundai is very particular about what tranny fluids go into it.
Did you use the right one? SPIII??
If not then you may have just .... well, you understand.
Maybe you can find a cheap used tranny??

I hope it is nothing and all will be well.
Good luck
yes i did use the specific fluid

Old 02-27-2020, 10:06 AM

How bad was the original fluid? Black and smelling burnt?

I think I would drain the fluid once more, take off the oil pan inspect the magnets. If there are big chunks of metal within the fine grit that's normal then you know for sure you need a replacement tranny. If you find only a the fine grayish grit there is a glimmer of hope. Maybe the shift solenoids are sticky? You could replace them or try to clean them to get them unstuck. There are Youtubes on the procedures.

Good luck, and please update us.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:38 PM

it was dark brown redish didnt smell to burnt . The chunks of metal were more like slivers ..

Originally Posted by allegretto
How bad was the original fluid? Black and smelling burnt?

I think I would drain the fluid once more, take off the oil pan inspect the magnets. If there are big chunks of metal within the fine grit that's normal then you know for sure you need a replacement tranny. If you find only a the fine grayish grit there is a glimmer of hope. Maybe the shift solenoids are sticky? You could replace them or try to clean them to get them unstuck. There are Youtubes on the procedures.

Good luck, and please update us.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 PM

I have done trans work and from what I see on that plug magnet, is not good. Those filings/shavings/slivers had to come from someplace and that is a warning something is getting chewed up inside. I doubt if a fluid and filter change will help that much. The magnets can't catch everything and if some of those shavings get into the valve body , it will prevent the valves from functioning as required and that is most likely why it won't up shift.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 PM

I agree with hanky. The gray slimy stuff is normal, the slivers aren't.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:18 PM

so what to do now? The shop said i need a new tranny cause the metal inside. They quoted me 2,000$ what should i do? Just try a additive and flush the valves out by draining and filling a few times or?
Originally Posted by hanky
I have done trans work and from what I see on that plug magnet, is not good. Those filings/shavings/slivers had to come from someplace and that is a warning something is getting chewed up inside. I doubt if a fluid and filter change will help that much. The magnets can't catch everything and if some of those shavings get into the valve body , it will prevent the valves from functioning as required and that is most likely why it won't up shift.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:51 AM

Miracles do happen, but usually a flush will not remove jammed particles in the valve body of the trans.
Unfortunately, these particles are in the entire system and whoever repairs or replaces the trans will need to flush the entire system, converter, lines, cooler etc.
That is why if done correctly , it is so expensive to repair.

Last edited by hanky; 02-29-2020 at 05:55 AM.