Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

transmission software recall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Default transmission software recall?

I took my 2011 Sonata SE to the dealer and was told there was a recall on the software for the transmission (software upgrade). Does anybody know about this? It's been a few days since they said they did the 'upgrade'. Coming to work this morning, my transmission made this loud "CLUNK" sound and then stayed in 4th gear! I pulled over and shut the car off...restarted it and it's been fine. So, who else has had this issue?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:37 PM

This exact same thing happened to me on two occasions. The dealer can elect to replace the transmission or install a TSB to filx the problem. For my situation they complied with the TSB. I've gone 3k-4k since the fix and have not experienced the problem again. With my 50k warranty on the transmission I figure that, if it's going to create problems again, I can push for a new transmission. My only concern was whether that "clunk" could conceivably damage the tranny. The dealer said this is not an issue. But what would you expect him to say? TSB details follow:

Subject: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SOLENOID DTC P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758,
Group: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
TSB#: 10-AT-003-1
Date: MAY, 2010
Affected Model: 2010~ TUCSON, 2010~ SANTA FE, 2011~ SONATA, 2011~ AZERA

DESCRIPTION:
Incorrect operation of the transmission solenoids may result in the following symptoms:
• Check Engine Light illuminated
• Transaxle held in 4th gear Fail-Safe
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758, P0763, P0768, P0773 or P2709

Bottom line: Don't wait for the problem to repeat itself. Get yourself to a dealer ASAP and get it fixed. Hyundai is familiar with the problem.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM

The strange thing is...I took my car in because the push button starter wouldn't work. They fixed that. They replaced the brake switch.

I only had that loud 'clunk' noise after they told me they did the recall work. My transmission was fine before that. I'll report it to the dealer and take it back so they can look at their "fix".

Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by fthreat65
I took my 2011 Sonata SE to the dealer and was told there was a recall on the software for the transmission (software upgrade). Does anybody know about this? It's been a few days since they said they did the 'upgrade'. Coming to work this morning, my transmission made this loud "CLUNK" sound and then stayed in 4th gear! I pulled over and shut the car off...restarted it and it's been fine. So, who else has had this issue?
Welcome to the club. Although I don't currently have a Hyundai, having sold both of them in the past year, I do have a 2011 Kia Forte 5 door with the six speed automatic. This happened EXACTLY as you described last Friday and I took it to the dealer. The code was a P0748 solenoid valve inside the transmission which was cleared. I also believe the electronic connection was reseated and some anti-corrosive substance applied to the contacts. The problem has not recurred.

The "fix" for this problem is to have the transmission replaced. However, I do not believe this is the transmission. I believe it is in the exterior connections to the transmission. Everything is contained inside the transmission and the dealers do not rebuild the transmission.

Oddly enough about 1/2 of the way to the dealer the TPMS system malfunctioned. I believe there is also a connection to the transmission problem.

I'm 100% certain you and I have experienced the same problem. See the following thread on the Kia forum and see if you don't agree. Then I won't need to repost what I have already explained previously. This is the same problem; I'm certain.

BTW, I came to this forum today to get the latest skinny on the Elantra Touring which led me to the Forte.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/kia-forte-2-4l-engine-discussion/6672-trouble-codes-weird.html

See also the following:

http://kia-buzz.com/?p=6300

Last edited by rmissourimule; 06-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by fthreat65
I took my 2011 Sonata SE to the dealer and was told there was a recall on the software for the transmission (software upgrade). Does anybody know about this?
Released by Hyundai May 23, 2011... had to update our multiple GDS in shop to acquire the program to be able to do the recall.. I have done 12 or 13 of them so far.

It's been a few days since they said they did the 'upgrade'. Coming to work this morning, my transmission made this loud "CLUNK" sound and then stayed in 4th gear! I pulled over and shut the car off...restarted it and it's been fine.
Take it to dealer and see if anything got stored in the PCM or TCM memory to aid in diagnosing the problem.. Do a fault code search of each and every module in the car.. when they did the program, they need to go through and clear all the COMM codes in the various modules as result of doing the program, and they supposed to reset the adaptive learn for A/T before returning car back into service.

The other fella 10-AT-003-1 has nothing to do with the recall,, totally different item.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM

I'm going to go out on the limb and say this problem is not going to be solved until Hyundai and Kia own up to the problem and fix what actually needs to be fixed. I believe it is a faulty electronic connection somewhere to the transmission. Yesterday, I received a call from Kia and I got the impression the person handling my call didn't have a clue or inclination and they don't want to give the impression that they are aware of this problem. Just sweep it under the rug and avoid a costly recall. I hate to be so negative about this problem but I just don't believe removing and replacing transmissions or reflashing computer chips or clearing codes is going to fix this problem. They need to identify the actual problem which I believe to be poor electrical connections somewhere along the line.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:57 PM

I have the same problem only thing is as i drive i cannot get no power it is just scooting along also when i am street driving boy is it noticable. i had 2 situations where i was reversing and i heard a clang coming fron the gears so backed up and the gears illumnation drive reverse, neutral, park, light did not come on. so i turned the car off and there they came back on but i went to dealership and drove with the serv mgr h experience the same thing oh it s normal normal my a.... i know something is wrong to me they do this because they do not want to have put so much time fixing something they no is wrong ALL CAR MAKERS DO THIS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HONDA THEY PUT IN ANOTHER ENGINE WHEN ANOTHER HONDA DEALER DRILLED A HOLE IN THE ENGINE BLOCK CHANGING A POWER STEERING PUMP but in all this no check engine light came DO IT HAVE TO??? what do i do i am going in tommorrow if they lie and say normal what to do then help guys.

Last edited by hyundee; 06-30-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Had my transmission computer redone when i brought it in for oil change. they called it:
PERFORMED THE TSB #11-AT-008 TCMRESET RELEARN PER SERVICE
CAMPAIGN TF5 RECHECKED -OK

have no idea what it is or does, guy didnt seem talkative/friendly so i just told them to do it

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM

I dropped my car off to the dealer a couple of days ago. They said they were going to replace a solenoid in the transmission. I should get it back to day and I'll let you all know how it went.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 AM

I got my car back yesterday... drove it all evening and this morning with no problems. So I guess they "fixed" it with the solenoid replacement in the transmission.