Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Unlock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Default Unlock Problem

Hey, i just bought a used 03' V6 Sonata. In the morning and somtimes during the day when i try to use the keyless entry the lights flicker like they do when it unlocks but the locks don't move. So i have to use thekey and then it unlocks all the locks. Is this because of the cold in NY or is there a problem?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Default RE: Unlock Problem

If you have any moisture on the locking mechanism and its cold enough to form ice on them( lock motor can't overcome the resistance,)would/could prevent from unlcking. Your lights flashing indicates you are getting a signal. The signal, either by the fob or manually turning the lock with key,then sends a "message" to a relayviathe security system that activates the door locks.
If you can, park indoors where it is warmer and see if it unlocks. When you use the key, how much effort does it take to turn the lock?Could be thatyou justneed to lubricate the locks and links.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 PM

when opening it with the key manually it takes no effort at all. It seems to work fine if i've driven somewhere and just hop out for like 5 min. Dunno if that helps

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 PM

if i need to lubricate ti where do i get it and how do i do it?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 PM

I think it may just be the cold my self, I have the remote start on my 2 Sonatas and never have to experience that problem caue the cars are warmed up when we get in to use them.

WheelBroker1

Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 PM

I think you found the problem then. After 5 min. it warmed up enough to soften the grease on the mechanisms.To lubricate the mechanismyou have to take the doorpannels off and access the lock motors. The motor drives a vertical shaft that has a spiral groove, similar to a rifle bore, but on the out side. As it turns, it moves up or down, depending on lock or unlock command and is connected via linkage to the door lock.If ithe shaft is wet and dirty, it will bind. Unfortunately, getting to this motor is not fun. When unlocking with the key, you move the same lever that is also connected to the motor and since there is no resistance, it sounds like the motor shaft is ok. See how it works when the weather warms up. My Ford picjkup had both motors go out at the same time, but I could not turn the lock witht the key. Both were wet and the shaft rusty. When the motor jams, you can't turn the lock with the key either. So you may be ok. Put your ear to the door and use the fob and see if you hear any sound of a movement. You may hear the motor's slight hum as it tries to turn, or just a slight click. While holding the fob down, gently bang on the door to see if the bind loosens up. Let us know how it worked out.