Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

2000 Tiburon...needs new rear pads, rotors, and calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Default 2000 Tiburon...needs new rear pads, rotors, and calipers...

I'm fairly new to working on cars but my 2000 Tiburon needs new rear pads, rotors and calipers. I'm told the calipers have locked up. One closed and one open. Friends and Co-workers tell me I should try to do this on my own as its not "too" difficult but I have doubts and obviously questions.

Is this something one should try on their own? If so what do I need to accomplish this and anything I should be on the watch out for?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Default RE: 2000 Tiburon...needs new rear pads, rotors, and calipers...

Are you sure the car has disk brakes on the rear? The shop schematic for the rear brake system on the Hyundai service web site (http://www.hmaservice.com/) shows two versions, one with disk brakes, the other a drum brake system. While I suppose it is not impossible, it is a bit unusual for a disk caliber to "freeeze closed". I've seen this situation happen far more often with drum brakes, particularly if the brake shoe has shed a piece of liner that has jammed up the mechanism.

I suggest you log onto the service site and review the materials on servicing and repairing the brakes for this car as a place to start. This is a great project to develop some mechanical skills while saving some money, but I suggest you only do so if someone with experience in servicing brakes can supervise you. I may have a conservative point of view, but the down side with this project is that making a mistake because you lack the experience can be quite costly or even get you killed. Write back to this thread if you do decide to proceed with the project.

Good luck.