Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

2005 se v6 6 speed clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Default 2005 se v6 6 speed clutch problem

Hey fellow Tiburon owners, I have a 2005 Tib se v6 six speed with 60k miles.
Clutch is having problems shifting and Dealer says wear and tear but clutch is not actually slipping, just hard to engage gears. I have driven manual cars for over 12 years now so I know how to drive stick, I've also read alot of complaints with earlier model clutches and flywheels that are defective from Hyundais.
Dealer quoted me around $2,600 to repair, I am looking online at clutch kits and flywheels both for around $500-$700
and know labor will be around $800-$1k
My question is I am looking for a decent aftermarket clutch and flywheel to install, and wonder if anyone has some advise on what brands work, or don't work, because of the dual mass flywheel, or anyone with a similar model that is using an aftermarket clutch can give me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Default RE: 2005 se v6 6 speed clutch problem

one thing that could be making it hard to engage, which is what happened to my tiburon,,the clutch fork got siezed halfway and would be engaged most the time, made it hard to get into gear, but it also caused a lot of slippage. If you arn't experienceing slippage, then mabe its the clutch fork is siezed in a different position, but i couldn't be sure.
As for aftermarket clutches and flywheels, depending on how stiff you can handle your clutch being, there are a lot of stage 1-3 clutches out there on ebay that are under $300, and i know ebay isn't always where people would like to buy stuff since there is a lot of b/s sellers out there, but if you look at feedback and make sure they are power sellers, you should be fine.
for a flywheel, i bought mine off ebay, under $200, 11lbs vs. stock 23lbs, and made a huge difference. had it in my car for over 2 yrs, havn't had a single problem and i drive it hard. i could give you some links if you are interested.
pretty sure thisclutch will work for the 6 speed - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...QQcmdZViewItem

here is a 13lbs flywheel - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...QQcmdZViewItem

hope this helps you

Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback, my car is still drivable right now, notice when I pump the clutch it is easier to engage gears? not sure what that means.
I will check out the links u provided, are these the clutch/flywheel you have in yours? do you have the 05 se 6 speed?
thanks again!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM

clutch is not actually slipping, just hard to engage gears.
I've been reading your thread on your clutch problem and I'm not totally convinced the clutch is failing. The symptoms you describe indicate the clutch is having trouble disengaging. If the clutch disk or pressure plate were becoming excessively worn, the clutch would have trouble engaging...it would slip. I know the dual mass flywheels have a poor reputation, but I suggest you investigate the condition of the hydraulic clutch mechanism first. It may simply be low on fluid, or it may have a leak particularly on the slave unit. I've also heard of the master cylinder on these can leak around the piston, but the rubber boot inside the cab seals off the piston rod well enough that no fluid is noticable. It builds up inside the boot. Your clutch may going out, but I would check these items over first. Repairing a bad hydraulic piece is far cheaper than a new clutch if that is all that is wrong.

notice when I pump the clutch it is easier to engage gears? not sure what that means.
You are somewhat practicing the lost art of "double clutching". Before transmissions came with synchronizers, a person had to clutch to take the tranny out of gear, then engage the clutch while adjusting the engine rpm so that the primary shaft rotation speed would somewhat match the rotation of the next gear and then clutch again to engage it. Some would simply tap and let off the accelerator and then engage the gear has the rpms match as the engine speed dropped. When you described this I initially thought a synchronizer was going out, but you would only have trouble shifting into the one affected gear. Since you don't mention that, I assume all gears are equally affected. This is why I think you should check the hydraulic clutch mechanism first.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Thank You Ken99 for the input, Yes it happens in all gears, the worst is trying to get it into reverse always grinds until I tried pumping the clutch pedal first, then I could get it into reverse without grinding.
I'm assuming if it is the Hydraulics that it should be covered under warranty? so the dealership just said " to fix the problem They would have to replace the clutch and flywheel"

I would not have known to check the hydraulics first. Much appreciated

Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm assuming if it is the Hydraulics that it should be covered under warranty?
Are you the original owner of the car? Then repairing the hydraulic clutch mechanism may be covered under the 10 year/100k powertrain warrenty. Like all car companies, Hyundai uses a few weasel words in the fine print of their warrenties. I beleive the actual warrenty says "select components are covered..." or something like that. All my Hyundais are automatic so I've never dealt with a clutch repair. If you are not the original owner, then you may be covered by the 5 year/60K bumper-to-bumper warrenty. You said the car had ~60K on it. If less, get to a dealer and get the problem fixed. If more than 60K, then you are no longer covered as a secondary owner.

I'd check the fluid level in the clutch reservoir first. It will be mounted on the firewall next to the brake system reservoir but closer to the fender. Like brakes, this system will act mushy or weak if any air gets in the line. If the fluid level is very low, you should fill it and bleed the system.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM

after reading the newer threads, i'd do exactly what ken99 said, my old truck was like that,,,esspecially when putting it in reverse,,pretty much had to slam it into gear. if its an origanal clutch,,and you aren't the first owner,,,chances are it was beaten when bought new,,or wasnt' broken in properly. i hate when people buy a new car,,less then 100miles on it and just start beating the **** off out it, which is why most used cars get a bad rep.

as for the clutch and flywheel,,,the clutch i have in mine is a stage 1 "F1 Racing" clutch,,not the same are the one i found for you,,but the fly wheel is the same,,not a dual mass like yours, but made by the same company and is made of chromoly,i have the 2.0L but both have held up to a lot of abuse. the nice thing about these flywheels besides the price,,they are made of chromoly, not aluminum, which aluminum isn't all that bad, but chromoly is a lot stronger and just as light. i'm sure you can find a fianza aluminum fly for around 400 but with those flywheels,,its usually a steel ring pressed onto the alumium disc,,they get heated up and both expand at different temps and are more likely to fail because of that. Although i've only heard of one that failed,i have never heard of a chromoly fly failing, but its not something i keep a close eye on.

regarless of what you get,,you'll love having a light weight fly,,,by far the best upgrade i've done. a stiffer clutch is nice too,,,but incorporated with a light wieght fly, its like getting laid for the first time lol.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks, I bought the car new, well sort of, it had 2,500 miles on it was a demo, so somebody could have beat on it..
I checked the fluid level seems to be OK, haven't noticed any fluid leaks or anything. I am gonna have a mechanic look at the master and slave cylinder. was curious if different clutch assembly with th v6 6speed than the 2.0 4cyl
someone told me the transmission and clutch were from chrysler? which i thought was wierd...
I appreciate all the responses from all of u
thanks again

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks, I bought the car new, well sort of, it had 2,500 miles on it was a demo, so somebody could have beat on it..
If you are the very first registered owner, then the 10 year/100K powertrain warrenty is still in affect. Bring this point up to the service manager and ask if the clutch repair is covered.

I am gonna have a mechanic look at the master and slave cylinder. was curious if different clutch assembly with th v6 6speed than the 2.0 4cyl
I checked the specifications for the clutch on both engines at the Hyundai service site. Appears to be exactly the same clutch on both engines except for the slave cylinder which is shorter on the 4 cylinder.

someone told me the transmission and clutch were from chrysler? which i thought was wierd...
For years Hyundai openly used Mitsubishi engines and transmissions in their cars. Hyundai has since moved on to design their own engines, but I think they still license transmission designs from Mitsubishi. Of course Mitsubishi has done so much business with Chrysler over the years you could almost consider it a Division of Chrysler. FYI, a derivative of the new Hyundai Theta II 4 cylinder engine has been licensed by...Chrysler. If you read a fair amount of automotive trade publications, you quickly come to realize it can be a fairly incestuous business.

I appreciate all the responses from all of u
Discussions like this is what the forum is about. Good luck with your clutch issues.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 AM

well, i hope you get it figured out, but i will garrentee you'll be more then pleased with an upgraded clutch and fly. let us know the results and if you have other question, dont' hesitate.

Quick Reply: 2005 se v6 6 speed clutch problem