Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Default ABS light

This is the first year I have owned my 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT v6. I was driving home in some pretty deep snow last night andmy ABS light came on. As far as I know, I do not have ABS on the car as an option. It was not listed as an optionwhen I bought it used from a dealer. Also,the brakes lock up even in the rain so I figured I do not have ABS on the car. However while driving home last night in the snow, the ABS light came on and I noticed the brakes were not locking up like usual. It may have been because the driving was so slow in the bad weather and downshifting is a better option than braking, but there is no way my brakes felt the same as they usually do. They did not seem to be locking up at all.
Why would the ABS light have come on and how can I really tell if I have ABS or not? I thought because of their locking up all the time in the past I did not have ABS for sure. ALSO I just had new brakes put on the front. Could this have anything to do with it? The light was still on when I started the car this morning, butwent off a few seconds after starting it. Anyone have any info or advice on this?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned
Default RE: ABS light

ABS was an option on the 2004 Tiburon. Since your ABS light came on, assume you have ABS. Another way to tell is if you have the ABS control module under the hood as seen in #12 of the diagram. Since you say the ABS warning light came on while driving in the snow, then there is a good chance one of the ABS sensors on the wheels became dirty with the snow, and was failing to give the normal signals to the ABS controls. If the brakes seem to work ok, and the light is not on while you drive, then I'll bet it's probably ok. It's normal for the light to come on when you first start the car to show you that the light is indeed functioning, along with the rest of the warning lamps. Go to Autozone and do a free trouble code scan and reset and note the codes.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

My guess is you do have ABS. The light going on when you start the car is normal. All the indicator lighst should go on when you start the car. It a test of the light.

My guess is you locked the wheels in the snow and the indicator light flashed to let you know. I wouldn't worry about it unless it stays on.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM

Thank you jsinton & NovaResource. That helps. I do have an Autozone near me. The thing that bothered me most was I have NEVER seen the ABS light come on, not even when I just start the car. Would that light on the dash not just be a standard factory installeven ifthe ABS option was not put on? Or like you said, if the ABS light is there at all, I should assume I have it? Anyway, thanks, it gives me something to go on!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 PM

I have an 03' Tiburon GT and the ABS and parking brake lights are staying on. I have had it scanned at Just Brakes and they tell me they cannot get into the computer to get the codes. Hyundai wants $105 to reset the codes and give me the error. Is there anyway i can do this myself? I replaced the right rear ABS sensor after a blown tire and now the lights won't go out. Please help if you can. I'm kinda stuck and dont have the $105 for 5 min on the Shop's diagnostic machine. Or if someone could suggest a place in the north dallas area who may be able to have a look cheaper that would be good too.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Hyundai HI-SCAN or GDS is the only way to access the module...

Feds state OBD-II has to be shared, but other info/systems are proprietary info, so you will have to pay to get the info as to fault in order to repair your system..

Attached Thumbnails  ABS light-pict0057.jpg    ABS light-pict0059p.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM

ok so hoepfully someone out there reading this has one of these machines in my area and needs a free case of beer! anybody near north dallas?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 PM

That "machine" is approx $10,000 dollar...

Hyundai just pushed an "economy" kit on dealers, cost was something $2500, the blue box (Vehicle Communication Interface) is $1850.. you supply the laptop or desk top and load the supplied CD, need wireless too for the VCI, or hardwire.

I keep thinking I need to buy a cheap laptop, load GDS disc, and bum the VCI on weekends..