Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Can't remove manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Default Can't remove manual transmission

Last week while driving, I stopped at a light. When it changed green, I depressed the clutch and put it in first gear. I heard a really loud bang and then nothing. I could not move the car.

I towed the car home and began to investigate. It definitely seems to be the transmission. I removed the wheels, half shafts, starter, clutch lever, and all the bolts from the transmission bell housing to the block. I can move the transmission up and down, but not side to side. I then began to remove the bolts from the transmission to the bell housing. I can seperate that abount 1 inch, but cannot get it off. Falling out of the transmission were a number of teeth from gears. So I definitely have a bad trans. I don't know if it is hung up on the throwout bearing not releasing from the fork.

Any ideas how to get this thing out?

I bought a trans from a recycler, so I am thinking about cutting a section out of the bell housing out to see what is holding the trans up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM

youtube the installation of a pull type clutch, theres a vid showing the install on a 99 elantra and he shows the secret to removing the tranny. let me know im soon putting a stage 1 in my 00 tiburon