Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Deciding on a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Default Deciding on a car

Hello there.

I just test drove a 2001 Tiburon for the first time. Very nice. I love the interior especially. I'm very interested in buying this car, however, I've read a lot of reviews that spoke of lots of malfunctions.

I own a Honda Civic - pretty much the most reliable car out there. It's priced well, gas mileage is amazing and maintenance is extremely reasonable.

I understand that the Tiburon is a bit worse on gas and that it breaks down more often.

So... from Tiburon owners out there, what do you recommend? I assume that most people who would join a Hyundai forum probably love their cars so this might be a bit of a biased medium, but all the help I can get will be cherished.

My Honda is sensible. It is the sensible choice. I'm kinda tired of being sensible. I'd much rather have something a bit more flashy that is fun to drive. But am I really going to end up paying for my decision afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Amina

Old 04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Deciding on a car

the one biggest complaint that ive heard about the tibby is the sunroof..i have had a few friends who have had tibbys, and they all had issues with the sunroof, so if i were to get one, i would avoid a sunroof car. they have had issues with the sunroof, and with the rear brake shoes, but she rides her brakes,and she has had problems with the rear tire wear, but it has been wrecked a few times.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Uhm, the RD series of tiburon (96-01) doesn't break down all the time. I've had mine for like 4 years now and had like 1 minor issue that the dealer fixed.

As for gas, I get 27 MPG, so that's pretty good.

The sunroof problem is on the GK series of tiburons, 03 and up, not on the RD's. I've never heard a problem with the RD sunroofs.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:47 AM

Well I've got an 03 GT Tib........the only problem I've had is my clutch, but then it wasnt designed for 290 + horse power ...........I beat the livin daylights outta mine and it's been a flawless car for over 30 k miles and I still get 20 mpg in town and 29 on the freeway.......as far as dependable it all comes down to vehicle maintanance....I mean how much better can it get ,a car that runs a low 15 second 1/4 mile and cost less than or as much as a new Civic

Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM

I have an '98 (2.0L) with 66,000 miles in the odometer. Malfunctions in six years.... ummmm... sparks wires 2 times, right window regulator, brake pump and spoiler paint. Recently (6 years after purchase) I have changed the sunroof metal panel for oxidation. For the rest, routine maintenance as oil, filters and spark plugs changes, any more. For sure you will notice a gas mileage reduction compared with your Civic because engine displacement (1.6 Vs. 1.8 or 2.0) but it isn't to be scared. You will forget about gas mileage when feel the difference between the Civic and the Tiburon. I swear you, Tiburon is a good choice. This car makes Hyundai to take a good company name.

[sm=goodidea.gif]

P.S. [:-] Excuse me for my English.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:05 PM

Even tho I have had a TON of transmission problems with my '99, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have 2 small kids I squish into the back, so it's not a family car. But all and all, I love it. I had a problem with the driver's side window too. Some thingy snapped and cost me about $200. [:'(]

Go for the Tiburon!

Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 AM

LOL......Thingy snapped<head tilt> ..Ya mean window regulator ......LMAO . I like that....if more of my customers would use that kind of discription all the time I would be giggling all day

Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 PM

This is to amina. I have a 2001 tib and so far i have had 1 problem and that was the spark plugs and wires, but not an issue at all. The sunroof has been working fine and i like driving the car so if you are still out there I have to say the car aint bad.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM

I 've had 5 honda's over the past 4 years and never had any problems with the cars. I can never keep them that long, because everyone wants to buy them. The last 2 honda's Civic I sold I made money on them.. I would look at Kelly's Blue book to see what the price range for the last past 5 years on whatever car you might be buying..

Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Any luck yet?

Quick Reply: Deciding on a car