Shifting problem - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Shifting problem

Hey guys, first timer here. I have an '08 SE, and I was wondering if you could help me figure this problem out. I'm an idiot with cars and was hoping this was something I could fix myself with some of my more mechanically inclined friends, as I don't have much money to have a mechanic look at it.

First off, the clutch feels completely fine and I haven't felt a noticeable change in it at all. I first noticed this last fall/winter when it started getting colder. The problem is MUCH worse when the outside temp is cold, and not nearly as bad when it's warm. However, no matter what the outside temp is, it's worse when the tranny/engine is cold, and gets better as it warms up. Anyway, I feel a lot of resistance when I shift into 1st gear, and then when I shift out of 1st, it kind of pops out (rather than being smooth, it's not that it pops out by itself). Then there is still resistance shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and so on. It does get a little easier as I go higher through the gears. One thing that's odd to me is that it seems to only pop out when I shift out of 1st and 6th. The popping out is not the main problem, it's more the resistance that I'm worried about. I've driven it like this for many months and have learned that it's much easier if every time I shift out of gear and into the next, I stop in neutral for half a second, then shift into the next gear. If I don't do this, there will be a lot of resistance like I said, but it also sometimes grinds if I force it.

Sorry for being so wordy, I'm just like that. I think it also may be important for me to say I've never changed the gear oil in the 7 years I've had it. I know I'm an idiot, but like I said, I'm not a car guy and it's just not something I think about. I'm planning to do this regardless of what the problem is.