Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

shuttering problem when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Default shuttering problem when accelerating

I am looking at an 03 tib. to buy. when you start it cold it doesnt want to stay running. you can hold ur foot on the acclerator and it will keep going till it warms up. then when you try to accerate hard or light sometimes it starts to shutter around 2,000-3000 rpms. it has an a/m intake and exhaust, and some electronic ignition box for high performance vehicles. I am think some kinda of idle air control problem is the start up problem, and maybe that performance box is giving it trouble on accerlation. what do you think?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Default RE: shuttering problem when accelerating

I'm not trying to be funny ... I think you need to look for another Tib. Someone has heavily modified this engine, and from your comments, I think the car has "been rode hard and put away wet". It's likely been street raced. The shutter you feel could be the clutch (if a manual), the torque convertor (if an auto) or tires and suspension parts with excessive wear. If you plan to use this car as a daily driver, maintaining the engine in tune will drive you nuts. I'd move on.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 AM

I can feel a miss. It almost feels like it is electronic problem. It is a manual transmission. Do the coil packs have a problem? I drove it again and when you punch it, it stays at a steady speed and doesnt pick up. it wants to, clutch isn't slipping. just no fuel or spark. Why is there no check engine light on also. its almost constantly missing when cold or hot. I am going to get it on a scan tool tomorrow. see what the data list says.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 PM

this is a four or six cylinder car?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM

With the described modifications to the exhaust system, the intake system and the ignition, I'm guessing the check engine light has had the bulb pulled or been out-right disconnected. From what you describe with the cold starting, it sounds like the timing has been advanced substantially, which would be consistent with the performance modifications. The intermittent cutout could be any one of several items in the ignition or with the injectors and their control leads. It will be interesting to see what the code scanner reveals.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM

it's a six cylinder. bulb wasnt pulled. it comes on for the light check. i didnt get a chance to get it on the scanner today. I wont be back to work till monday so you'll have to wait. sorry guys.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 PM

so i found 5 codes on it. Its funny the check engine light wasn't on. first one was p1167 and p1166. Alldata said dont worry about these if there are other codes. then the other two were crankshaft position sensor codes. P0335, P0340. Then there was a wheel sensor code. My AllData said that if the car has irractic idle or poor or no accleration then the crankshaft position sensor is bad. Its only 50 bucks so i try that and see what happens. the data list didnt show me much. i was hoping for a weird coolant temp or air temp, but it seemed fine.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM

so i think i started this thread with a shuttering problem. I am finding that it is more of a bogging problem. If you go lightly on the pedal it will go thru the rpms fine. but if you stomp on it, it will go up to 2000-2300 rpms then start bogging. it won't climb up the rpms any farther with the pedal to the floor. Any ideas whats going on? It seems like a sensor or some sort of electrical problem. I got new plugs for it but i need a plentum gasket for it. plug gap was huge on it. they are like a charcoal color.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM

So i think i figured it out. My snap on scan tool troubleshooter says my MAF should be running about 1.4v at idle and 2.2 - 2.8v at 3,000 rpms. I am running .4v at idle and 1.4v at 3,000 rpms. way to low. I dont have any restrictions so i got a used one coming for 100 bucks. It only has 30,000 miles on it so it shouldnt be to bad.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM

dude you got taken i have the same problem and a new maf fixed the problem for about 2 weeks and now the problem is back your like the 4th person that has had this problem on this forum with lose of power while driving you got taken becuase i paid only $40 for a new maf on ebay. They have lots of new and used good parts for really cheap let me know if the maf fixes your problem and if it comes back by the sound of it you already bought the car