Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Default Steering Issues

Hey guys. I am having some bad issues with my steering wheel. It is vibrating really bad when I am running @ 80 km/h and over. I just recently changed my front tie rods, wheel bearings, struts and shocks but on my way to work it vibrates like crazy. The next day I took it to have a wheel balance and it didnt do any difference. I googled the problem and came up that it might be my steering belt or rotors. Now I am not sure what is going on and I drive in the highway alot so it is something that worries me that I might end up having an accident. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned

It's usually a tire problem. Could be axles out of balance. Tie rods won't do that unless they're REALLY bad, and wheel bearing would make lots of noise.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by aznjohn
Hey guys. I am having some bad issues with my steering wheel. It is vibrating really bad when I am running @ 80 km/h and over. I just recently changed my front tie rods, wheel bearings, struts and shocks but on my way to work it vibrates like crazy. The next day I took it to have a wheel balance and it didnt do any difference. I googled the problem and came up that it might be my steering belt or rotors. Now I am not sure what is going on and I drive in the highway alot so it is something that worries me that I might end up having an accident. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
When the suspension work was performed, were the ball joints on the lower control arms replaced or inspected? A front end vibration that only occurs at highway speeds can be a worn out or loose ball joint. I would have them inspected ASAP since the consequences of a broken ball joint are catastrophic.

Not knowing the age of the car, it is hard to determine if the front half-shafts have harmonic balancers on them or not. Hyundai used those on several models in the mid-to-late 90's. If so, one of those may have failed.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks for all the reply guys... I took my car for a wheel alignment and they told me that i have a walking brakes so i went to my mechanic and have my brake pads replaced and the vibration stops but now the problem doesnt stop there coz now my braking system is mess up.

The vibration went away but every time I use my brake to slow down or slightly use my brakes I hear a loud grinding or screeching sound on my left front tire. I took it back to my mechanic and told me to get my CV axle replaced which we did and the problem was fixed for few days but now it is back. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated... I am getting frustrated coz it seems like we cant figure out what's the problem. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

So, you've done the tie rods, wheel bearings, struts and shocks, axle and brakes???

There's nothing left to do. Somebody did something wrong.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 AM

I thought that too but with my luck it seems like I cant pin point the problem... The only thing I havnt change is my rotors since they are in good shape and I know that if it is the rotor I will feel vibration when I use the brakes.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Well, if you step on the brakes, and it makes a horrible sound, then its almost certainly a brake problem. Somebody reassembled the brakes wrong???