Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Valve Cap Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Default Valve Cap Covers?

I recently had my car inspected for a sticker, and noticed that none of my original valve caps was on my tires. I went to put air pressure in one when I noticed it. Is there a site where I can order the original valve caps that came on the car? I have a 2008 Tib.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Midnight Auto Supply? Five Finger Discount?

Original caps??? Were they special? I don't think so.

I usually look around the air hose of the filling station for caps on the ground. Or ask the mechanic in the filling station, they usually have some around.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM

The valve caps that came on the car I have never seen before.
They are tire pressure monitoring valve caps and looked very decent on the car. My tire pressure monitoring system keeps getting tripped, maybe because I have all these mix-matched valve caps on there instead of the pressure monitoring ones?
I hate the big, ugly black/grey ones the auto places have laying around. These are very small valve caps.

[Edit]
Sorry for not being so specific in the 1st post. I just assumed that since someone would help me on this forum, they would automatically know the car comes with a tire pressure monitoring system.
The only pressure monitoring valve covers I have been able to find are the LED ones. I don't like those which is why I was wondering if the original ones can be ordered that came factory on the car.

Last edited by jleah_08; 04-22-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Sounds like a dealer item.

The TPS system is not known to not work very well, and sets off the warning light a lot. A 25% drop in tire pressure below the specified psi will set off the light. And each 12F drop in temperature will reduce the psi 1 lb. Recommended by Hyundai to fill your tire an extra 3 or 4 psi above specified psi (when tire is cold) so the TPS light doesn't go off. Even things like microwave or radio towers are known to set off the TPS.

Your caps shouldn't have anything to do with it. Do you mean "caps" or "stems"?

If you still think your TPS goes off too much, and you know the psi in the tires is correct, then you should take it to the dealer for some warranty work. They can test the system, and replace if they find it's out of spec.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Arg I was trying to avoid going to the dealer. It trips all the time. Whether it's hot, cold, anything. I check and all the tire pressures are accurate. The boys at National Tire and Battery hate to see me pull in. I check it myself and then sometimes have them check too just in case.
I'm talking caps, the ones you screw off to put air in the tire. I was hoping to find the exact ones that came factory b/c they're slick looking and small.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

When tires are COLD, put 3 to 4 extra psi (per Hyundai recommendation) and see if that helps.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jleah_08
The valve caps that came on the car I have never seen before.
They are tire pressure monitoring valve caps and looked very decent on the car. My tire pressure monitoring system keeps getting tripped, maybe because I have all these mix-matched valve caps on there instead of the pressure monitoring ones?
There is nothing special about the valve caps on Hyundai TMPS systems. They do nothing. If your system is being tripped then one or more tires are probably low. If you don't like the plastic caps from an auto parts store then you'll have to go to a dealer for the factory ones.