Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

08 Tucson Splash Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Default 08 Tucson Splash Shield

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone else on here has problems driving their Tucson in the rain? I bought my 08 Tucson back in Dec. 2012 and loved it until the rainy season hit. I live in FL and it rains quite a bit during said rainy season. I can't drive through a normal puddle without my dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree let alone water covered roadways. The battery light comes on, I lose power steering & braking, seat belt light flashes, etc. all due to driving in the rain. I'm not out there 4 wheeling this thing, I'm just driving in the rain like everyone else and your going to have puddles in the rain. My last car was a Saturn SL, a low rider in comparison to this Tucson that is supposed to be a SUV, and I never, ever had the dash lights come on because of rainwater obviously getting where its not supposed to.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 PM

If you could try this , it might help narrow down where the problem is originating.
Take an ordinary garden hose and start by spraying a different corner of the vehicle with the motor running starting with under the front wheels and see if you can create the situation. After doing each corner check the dash and see if you produced the problem.
Would like to know if it was the passenger side front.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

You're going through the puddles too fast. You are splashing the water up into the engine compartment and it's getting on the drive belt. That is causing it to slip and making the dash light up. What's happening is totally normal.

Slow down.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Hi hanky, it is the passenger side front.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM

NovaResource, I'm not going through the puddles too fast. Been driving for many, many years and I know better than that. This is a SUV and I have driven a Pontiac Grand Am, Saturn SL (low rider) and my last vehicle before this Tucson was a Toyota Camry. I never, ever had this problem in all the years I have lived and drove in Florida. There is something not right about this. When I can't drive 15 mph on a water covered road (which happens when it rains) without my lights coming on because water is getting splashed up into the engine compartment, there is a problem. I don't speed through puddles or standing water, I'm not an idiot, so its not my driving skills.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:40 AM

Depending on how determined you are,
This is what I would try.
Continue checking with the engine running, but use a spray water bottle and spray small sections at a time and watching the dash. This should help pin down the area that is affected and causing the problem. It could be anything from a defective part with exposed connections, or maybe salt dust getting in somewhere and helping make a problem.
It's just speculation at this point until the area/part can be isolated.
This has usually worked for me.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by purplelady
NovaResource, I'm not going through the puddles too fast. Been driving for many, many years and I know better than that. This is a SUV and I have driven a Pontiac Grand Am, Saturn SL (low rider) and my last vehicle before this Tucson was a Toyota Camry. I never, ever had this problem in all the years I have lived and drove in Florida. There is something not right about this. When I can't drive 15 mph on a water covered road (which happens when it rains) without my lights coming on because water is getting splashed up into the engine compartment, there is a problem. I don't speed through puddles or standing water, I'm not an idiot, so its not my driving skills.
You are driving too fast. It happens to me from time to time in my '06 Tucson. If the puddle is shallow it's not a problem but of the puddle is a little deep you have to slow down.

Maybe that didn't happen with your Grand Am or Saturn or Camry but those are totally different cars with different designs. For some reason the Tucson is more susceptible to it.

Bottom line, Slow Down.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.