Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2008 CRTD CDX Diesel Tuscon. Slow acceleration and surging

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 04:25 PM
Default 2008 CRTD CDX Diesel Tuscon. Slow acceleration and surging

Hello i am new on here so any help advice would be most welcome. I recently had the engine warning light problem which was found to be the dpd exhaust box. To cut a long story short i have now fitted a new battery, Egr Valve, turbo, dpd box and pipes, air filter and oil. In the midst of all this the car is now spluttering on start up and is not accelerating correctly. It pulls away real slow and then surges. When i slow down it then does not speed up again. Very dangerous to drive like this as it is so unpredictable. Also noticed white smoke which after investigating appears it could be coolant leaking into engine therefore head gasket problems. Has anybody experienced anything similar and can offer advice. I have spent over £1700 so far and am at a loss without spending more money. Suggestions most welcome. Thank you. Dave

Old 05-17-2021, 03:25 PM

Hi Dave,
Sometimes we help more by asking questions.
Have you noticed any drop in the coolant level, , if so it could verify your suspicion of coolant getting into the engine. Keep in mind pressure in the combustion chamber can be
a few hundred PSI as compared to cooling system pressure which is around 7 psi, see where I'm going here?
White smoke from a diesel engine when cold could be normal.
What about the engine oil level, if the turbo is leaking oil into the intake , that can cause some smoke. Turbos usually have a wastegate to prevent excessive boost, check if that is stuck open preventing any boost at all.
Diesels are extremely sensitive to air getting into the fuel system, make sure all fuel lines from the tank to the filter and engine are not allowing air to get into the fuel system which can produce the symptoms you are seeing. Let us now what you find, thanks.