Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2011 Tuscon - Rear-Passenger Rubbing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Default 2011 Tuscon - Rear-Passenger Rubbing Noise

All,

Since the Summer of 2011, I have been hearing a noise coming from the rear-end passenger side, the best description of the noise it sounds like rubbing a steel.

The Tucson was serviced by a dealership on multiple occasions and unfortunately to this day the noise still occurs. At one point, I felt the issue was resolved when the mechanics noticed some 'glazing' of the break-pads, but in mid-June to early July, the noise came back.

As individuals can imagine, a constant trip to the dealership is annoyance. Perhaps, someone else has experienced this same problem.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Default Follow-up

Yesterday, I return to the dealership and reported the problem. Unfortunately, they could not hear the noise and reported it as a not a safety hazard, only an annoyance. Also, should the noise return that I could swing by, and have a technician ride with me.

My view is that isn't exactly convenient for the technicians and/or myself. I do agree with the view that the noise is annoyance, but the vehicle shouldn't make the noise after 40k, or on 2 year vehicle.

After the vehicle was picked up, the noise occurred within moments of driving it. ... awww, the fun.

This is my first experience with Hyundai, and it may be my last.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Having the same problem with my 2011 Tucson. Dealership can't find the problem. My noise is more of a clunk/rattle which is most evident at speeds below 20 mph. Sounds like it is coming from the right (passenger side) rear of the vehicle. It is very annoying, to say the least. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Oldebuffalo
Having the same problem with my 2011 Tucson. Dealership can't find the problem. My noise is more of a clunk/rattle which is most evident at speeds below 20 mph. Sounds like it is coming from the right (passenger side) rear of the vehicle. It is very annoying, to say the least. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had a similar noise to what you describe, only in the left rear. I spent weeks trying to figure it out. Ends up that I had a bad shock and upper shock mount. It sounded like someone was taking their knuckle and lightly tapping the plastic panels in the cargo area. The dealer just replaced the shock and mount yesterday, and the sound is gone.

The quickest way we got to the heart of the problem was having one person (with good ears) get under the back end of the car, and one person at the open cargo hatch (that can physically move the vehicle). The person standing pushes down on the cargo sill to articulate the suspension repeatedly like CPR. I couldn't pin down the problem until I started touching things and could feel something makings the clunk.

Now with that resolved, I hear things that aren't secured, whether it is actual cargo or the infamous loose bumper/wheel well coupling.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by osp6179
I had a similar noise to what you describe, only in the left rear. I spent weeks trying to figure it out. Ends up that I had a bad shock and upper shock mount. It sounded like someone was taking their knuckle and lightly tapping the plastic panels in the cargo area. The dealer just replaced the shock and mount yesterday, and the sound is gone.

The quickest way we got to the heart of the problem was having one person (with good ears) get under the back end of the car, and one person at the open cargo hatch (that can physically move the vehicle). The person standing pushes down on the cargo sill to articulate the suspension repeatedly like CPR. I couldn't pin down the problem until I started touching things and could feel something makings the clunk.

Now with that resolved, I hear things that aren't secured, whether it is actual cargo or the infamous loose bumper/wheel well coupling.
Thanks a bunch. The dealership looked as you suggested and did find that the rear strut was defective and needs to be replaced.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 AM

Sweeeet! I'm good for something--I'll let my wife know!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oldebuffalo
I know the original poster's problem was solved, but I had a similar niose (clunk/rattle) at the right rear of the vehicle, and what it turned out to be in my case was after the trailer hitch receiver was installed, the muffler would vibrate against it at very low speed, and even louder in reverse.

Just throwing this out in case other experience the same problem.