Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Faint brakes squeaking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Exclamation Faint brakes squeaking!

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and not to be rude, but I do have a questions about my Tucson.

I have a 2010 Hyundai Tucson GL (I live in Canada).
Recently, the brakes have been squeaking. It is not the typical high pitch, loud squeaking that you would hear, informing you of your pads are wearing low. It is this faint squeaking which only happens sometimes (but quite often), at near stopping speeds (< 40km/h? or <30km/h??). Also, it is not a constant squeak of "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" but rather, "errrr errrr errrr errrr" till I stop.
The car is considered pretty new, it only has about 19,000km on it.

Under the assumption that it only happens during braking (in a straight line) I think it's safe to say it is not the chassis, or suspensions. (But what do I know )

I really have no idea, I plan to take it to the dealer soon, but I don't want to be fed biased, and unnecessary information, so i figured maybe you guys would know better.

Even if it IS the brake pads that are starting to go, isn't 19,000 km a little too soon???

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Take the thing out somewhere safe by yourself and stomp the pedal a few times good and hard to alter the friction co-efficient of the friction surfaces..

Look at friction surface of the rotors, the clean, they rusty/gritty looking.. odd noises anymore is common place, comes down to recipe of pad material, and what the friction surface looks like.. then how the 2 play together... got plenty of pad material,, car stops, dont get excited.

If within the 1yr adjustments period, they may resurface rotors and change the friction sounds until you polish them up using brakes or rust sets in again..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, my 2006 Tucson somcetimes makes a odd squeaking. I can only hear it when it's quiet and I'm on the highway. The noise will go away when I start to turn and place slight side g-force on the car. I used to think it was the pads too but when I went to replace them they were still at 50% or more. Then I thought it was wheel bearings but sbr711 said Tucsons don't generally have any wheel bearing problems.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Default 2010 Tucson

Hi there, I am having the exact same issue with my Tucson and the problem is becoming more common with this model. Its a friction squeak. Mine started about 9000kms ago and I now have over 20,000, thats Hyundai's magic number where they no longer want to adjust anything under warranty for you so that is why I am still waiting on an answer from corporate office.

The fix for this issue is to cut the rotor and new pads. Aftermarket works better than whats on their now but they refuse to put them on. They have looked at them 3 times and still can't figure it out, that is why I have been to two other independant garages and they both agree that its a friction squeak.

From what I have read and heard, more and more Tucson's are showing up with this issue, don't get suckered into a " brake service " which they will gladly sell you, this is not the fix, Hyundai needs to step up and come up with a solution that works.

Good luck....

Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

There is no real fix needed. Like you said, it is a friction squeak. Nothing is being damaged. The pads are designed to slightly touch the rotors (on all cars, not just Hyundai). It's done to remove, dirt and water while driving. For some reason this makes a more noticeable sound on Tucsons.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

i had this same issue...as your brakes wear down the space between the pad and the rotor gets bigger allowing dust debris and water to settle in between...take your car to the car wash and have them spray down your wheels when they wash your car...after that just get some brake cleaner fluid and spray down your caliper pads and rotors and it should be fine...

Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Default Braking System Problems

Hi,
I am experiencing endless problems with my brakes. I had them replaced about 8 months ago. They squeal and vibrate most of the time. Sounds like metal on metal in the front wheels when pushing them, and a hideously loud grinding in the back when reversing. Car just had major service. Mechanics have no idea, as brake pads, drums, etc. all fine. Very embarrassing and a huge safety concern for me, as I am a single mum carrying children around. I have spent over R30000 with replacing brakes, servicing, etc in six months. I am at my wits end (and pretty broke). Can anyone advise? My car is a 2006 2l Tucson.