Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Major Issue Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM

No, it wasn't a Hyundai filter. I believe it was a Fram or Walmart brand filter. I'm picking the filter up at the dealership tomorrow. They threw it out, but said they found it. I'll take the filter to the mechanic and have him look at it.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pc29
No, it wasn't a Hyundai filter. I believe it was a Fram or Walmart brand filter.
And there's your problem. ALWAYS use a OEM Hyundai filter. Fram is junk and I'm sure a Walmart brand is junk too. My guess is the filter clogged or was too restrictive and that starved the engine of oil. That's what damaged the engine and the restriction got so bad the pressure ruptured the filter. Sorry.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Is there any liability with the oil filter manufacturer if this is the case?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM

I would doubt if either filter caused the problem. I'm no fan of Fram but Wal-Mart filters are made by another specialty manufacturer. But having said that, it is probably best to use the OEM filter as they are relatively inexpensive and there will be no question should warranty issues arise.

I also think that the filter has been effectively ruled out since it was said to be loose. That is not the fault of the filter but whatever caused it to be loose.

You might look into a used engine. I found several 2.0 engines on ebay for about $700 plus shipping.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 04-03-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Is there any liability with the oil filter manufacturer if this is the case?
Nope.

Originally Posted by rmissourimule
I would doubt if either filter caused the problem. I'm no fan of Fram but Wal-Mart filters are made by another specialty manufacturer.
I disagree. There is a Hyundai TSB out about using non-OEM filters. (see attached file) The problem is some non-OEM filters (Fram is one of them) are too restrictive and prevent oil flow. That lack of flow for over 2000 miles can cause that damage.

I also think that the filter has been effectively ruled out since it was said to be loose. That is not the fault of the filter but whatever caused it to be loose.
I disagree again. If the filter was loose the whole time it would have been leaking oil that would have been seen. I'm thinking the filter loosened up over time with the build-up of pressure from the restriction.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05-20-002.pdf (18.0 KB, 1093 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Nope.

I disagree. There is a Hyundai TSB out about using non-OEM filters. (see attached file) The problem is some non-OEM filters (Fram is one of them) are too restrictive and prevent oil flow. That lack of flow for over 2000 miles can cause that damage.

I disagree again. If the filter was loose the whole time it would have been leaking oil that would have been seen. I'm thinking the filter loosened up over time with the build-up of pressure from the restriction.
With all due respect I don't believe the filter was loose all the time. It was, in my view, inadequately tightened to specs which over time caused the filter to become looser due to engine and road vibration; not due to oil flow restrictions. Eventually it became loose enough to leak.

I have seen this Hyundai admonition about not using OEM filters and for the most part it is boilerplate designed to give them an out in the event the engine gets fried. I have used filters (not Fram) on several Hyundai engines with no ill effects. But the federal law does not require an owner to use OEM filters, although it is not a bad idea in that the cost is insignificant. I have used NAPA filters which are made by Wix with no ill effects. The only downside is that different size filter wrenches are required to fit the ends of the filters.

If I am not mistaken all filters have a by-pass valve that would allow oil flow even if the filter would somehow become clogged. But this is all academic. A test should be run on the old filter and see if it was operating properly and then we will know for certain. If, in the off chance that there was restriction and the by-pass valve was defective, then I would think there would be a legal recourse against the manufacturer of the filter. In that event, I would find the registered agent in the state for this manufacturer, sue them in small claims court, and put a judgment on their assets. I would also contact whatever state and federal agencies that deal with this subject to be aware of this problem to alert the public. It would be far cheaper for the manufacturer to settle this out of court and install a new engine in the plaintiff's vehicle than to have all the bad publicity.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 04-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

With all due respect I don't believe the filter was loose all the time. It was, in my view, inadequately tightened to specs which over time caused the filter to become looser due to engine and road vibration; not due to oil flow restrictions. Eventually it became loose enough to leak.
There are a couple of problems with your logic. First, the original poster said he stopped the engine immediately upon seeing the oil light on. Only then was there a large oil leak. That means the leak was a rupture. Otherwise there would have been leaking before.

Second, engine damage doesn't happen immediately upon an oil light going on. That happens over time which leads me to believe the engine was slowly starved of oil for some time. If he had driven a number miles with the light on then I would say that caused the damage.

I have seen this Hyundai admonition about not using OEM filters and for the most part it is boilerplate designed to give them an out in the event the engine gets fried. I have used filters (not Fram) on several Hyundai engines with no ill effects. But the federal law does not require an owner to use OEM filters, although it is not a bad idea in that the cost is insignificant. I have used NAPA filters which I believe are made by Purolator or one of the major manufacturers with no ill effects. The only downside is that different size filter wrenches are required to fit the ends of the filters.
No, you are not required to use OEM filters but you are required to use filters that meet Hyundais standards. Many filters do not. However, NAPA Wix filters and Purlator filters do (I have also used both with no problems)

If I am not mistaken all filters have a by-pass valve that would allow oil flow even if the filter would somehow become clogged.
I believe that is part of the problem with Fram filters that don't meet Hyundai's specifications.

Last edited by NovaResource; 04-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
There are a couple of problems with your logic. First, the original poster said he stopped the engine immediately upon seeing the oil light on. Only then was there a large oil leak. That means the leak was a rupture. Otherwise there would have been leaking before.

Second, engine damage doesn't happen immediately upon an oil light going on. That happens over time which leads me to believe the engine was slowly starved of oil for some time. If he had driven a number miles with the light on then I would say that caused the damage.

No, you are not required to use OEM filters but you are required to use filters that meet Hyundais standards. Many filters do not. However, NAPA Wix filters and Purlator filters do (I have also used both with no problems)

I believe that is part of the problem with Fram filters that don't meet Hyundai's specifications.
Has it been determined that a rupture occurred? Did the gasket or did the filter case show any evidence of a rupture? All we were told was that the service department said the filter was loose so far as I know.

Assume that all of the oil left the engine immediately. That would require a major leakage. If as soon as the oil light came on and he pulled over to the side of the road any damage should have ceased. I have, in fact, driven a vehicle for several hundred feet with zero oil pressure and after the engine had started knocking. It did not result in any perceptible engine damage.

I would guess we would need to know from the owner if and when the oil light came on and when the knocking was first heard. If he drove the vehicle a mile or two without oil I would certainly agree that it would have resulted in engine damage. If, however, he immediately pulled over to the side of the road, I tend to doubt there would have been any appreciable damage.

Do we know that Fram's oil filters do not meet OEM specs? So far as I know the box clearly states that it does but I will recheck to be sure the next time I am at the store.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM

The oil light came on shortly before the knocking sound. I didn't drive even a quarter of a mile before I pulled over. The engine wasn't started back up until the dealership started it. There was absolutely no oil leaking before it all gushed out. I'm picking up the oil filter from the dealership today. So I do have pictures that the dealership sent me.

Attached Thumbnails Major Issue Tucson-oil-filter.jpg   Major Issue Tucson-oil-filter-1.jpg   Major Issue Tucson-oil-filter-2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Assume that all of the oil left the engine immediately. That would require a major leakage.
That happened to me with my Sunbird. I hit the truck tire retread in the road and it crushed the filter causing the leak. The engine pumped all the oil out of the pan in the 15-20 seconds it took me to realize what happened, pull off the road and shut down the engine.

If as soon as the oil light came on and he pulled over to the side of the road any damage should have ceased. I have, in fact, driven a vehicle for several hundred feet with zero oil pressure and after the engine had started knocking. It did not result in any perceptible engine damage.
That's my point. The damage to the engine isn't consistent with an immediate loss of oil. It would have taken a while with no pressure. So my assumption is the engine was starved of oil for a long time before the oil light came on. Again, that's just an assumption based on the limited facts I have to go on.

I would guess we would need to know from the owner if and when the oil light came on and when the knocking was first heard. If he drove the vehicle a mile or two without oil I would certainly agree that it would have resulted in engine damage. If, however, he immediately pulled over to the side of the road, I tend to doubt there would have been any appreciable damage.
Reading his original post it appears he pulled over right away:
...I was driving to work when the oil light came on and heard a knocking sound coming from engine. I immediately pulled over and saw oil spewing everywhere.

Do we know that Fram's oil filters do not meet OEM specs? So far as I know the box clearly states that it does but I will recheck to be sure the next time I am at the store.
I wouldn't use a Fram filter even if they claim it meets Hyundai's standards.

Quick Reply: Major Issue Tucson