Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Major Issue Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by pc29
The oil light came on shortly before the knocking sound. I didn't drive even a quarter of a mile before I pulled over. The engine wasn't started back up until the dealership started it. There was absolutely no oil leaking before it all gushed out. I'm picking up the oil filter from the dealership today. So I do have pictures that the dealership sent me.
The gasket appears to have a bulge on the filter. It is not large enough or detailed enough to be certain, however. I can't determine from the photo what brand of filter that was.

If you drove a quarter of a mile you drove about 1,300 feet. At highway speeds the engine would have turned over 500 revolutions give or take a few. That might be enough to cause significant damage. When I was driving and lost all oil pressure and heard the knocking in a Ford engine I drove a shorter distance but at a much lower speed. No damage ensued.

The photo appears to be a round type gasket which inserts into the body of the filter. That more or less precludes the previous filter gasket from sticking to the filter housing so that is probably not an issue.

Who last changed the oil and filter? I'd want to know that.

I would also want to verify the filter was actually blocked and whether the by-pass valve was inoperative.

If the dealer put the filter on and failed to properly tighten it then I would think you would have a cause of action against him. If Joe Blow with his greasy rag put it on you would have to prove he failed to do his job. You might be able to sue him in small claims court for damages received.

This is probably a good reason to have the oil and filter changes done at the dealer. They are always running specials on these for about $20-25 and then they put the info into the computer. And then they can deal with the used oil and filter. I think it is money well spent although I occasionally change my own oil, since it is no big deal.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
That happened to me with my Sunbird. I hit the truck tire retread in the road and it crushed the filter causing the leak. The engine pumped all the oil out of the pan in the 15-20 seconds it took me to realize what happened, pull off the road and shut down the engine.

That's my point. The damage to the engine isn't consistent with an immediate loss of oil. It would have taken a while with no pressure. So my assumption is the engine was starved of oil for a long time before the oil light came on. Again, that's just an assumption based on the limited facts I have to go on.

Reading his original post it appears he pulled over right away:

I wouldn't use a Fram filter even if they claim it meets Hyundai's standards.
Well, I agree with you about the Fram filter. Neither would I.

This are good articles on various filters. Fram brings up the rear.

Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html