Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Trying to decide which SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Default Trying to decide which SUV?

I have studied the the basic MPG and price differences between the the Hyundai Tucson, Mitsubishi Outlander and the Isuzu Ascender. Albeit that the Hyundai and Mitsubishi have the exact same warranty, I still dont know which one has the least problems or will have the least problems. I would like to know where I can compare the true/unbiased crash safety test results for these above mentioned cars as well as try to get some impartial good advice as to which of these above cars will cause the least probelms. I.e which one will spend more time driving and less time being repaired for any proeblem in the repair shop.
Although, the the Isuzu has only 50, 000 miles warranty, it looks bigger and perhaps stronger. Is there anywhere I can compare the true safety of these cars?

I know this is the Hyundai forum, but I couldn't find any forum that was just a general car forum to get truly impartial advice, but beside the price, safety and least amount of problems it will be in the repair shop, Im willing to overlook the loudness and even the smoothness of the ride as I dont know how else to compare these cars. SO please let me know where I can at least find a truly impartial site for comparing the safety of these types of cars. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Trying to decide which SUV?

Have you tired The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety? http://www.iihs.org/

Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Default iihs vs. nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

Strangely, the NHTSA (National Highway and Transportation Safety)? has nolisting or "not rated" results for the Mitsubishi Outlander, but at the iihs it is there. Is there any reason for that?

At the iihs site, the outlander has a G (Good) rating, (the best that can be had), and the Hyundai only has an overall A (acceptable) rating, withcertain specific resultsat P(Poor) or M(Marginal).

The Mitsubishi has G for every specific category exceptfor one A (acceptable). I would think, that if that were the case,Mitsubishi would want to have it published at the NHTSA.

On top of that, the NHTSA shows that the Tucson has nearly full? 5 star ratings for every category, which again, conflicts with what is stated at the iihs.

Im so confusedat this point. Just between the two, Tucson vs. Mitsubishi, howam I supposed to decide?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Default RE: iihs vs. nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

iihs and nhtsa are two different entities. They have nothing to do with each other regarding crash tests.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Default RE: iihs vs. nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

Check out reviews writen by customers who had owned them for more then a few hours such as paid rivewers had. Even there, you'll find conflicting reports, but are unbiased. If you read enough of them, you can form an opinion. Consumerreports.org also gives some perspective and favors Hyundai's 06 cars. Customer satisfaction, good response/service is what makes or breaksa product.