Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Where do I start? 2006 Tucson CEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Default Where do I start? 2006 Tucson CEL

After years of awesome service that my 2007 Hyundai Tucson 4cyl, 2l, 5spd has given me, my wife decided to get one as well.

She purchased a 2006 4cyl, 2l, 5spd with 4wd but can not say the same about being dependable at all. Shortly after having the transmission serviced her check engine light came on. We were taking it to the Hyundai service department anyways to have them search vin and see if they could locate service records for it to determine if timing belt needed to be changed so had them do diagnostics on this same trip.

It was determined that the code was P0011 and because the part was not in stock, they placed it on order and went on to replace the timing belt. Might I note that even though the light was on, the Rig ran perfect. No rough idle, no hesitation, shifted perfectly and engine sounded and performed just like my 2007. After the timing belt was replaced it continued to run well.

A week later part comes in and although the diagnostics test on the WO says they found fault with the CVVT Valve they replaced the OCV Valve, citing to me that they were the same(I since learned that that isnt true, both are in the CVVT but the valves are quite distinctively different). I drove the truck up the street, turned a corner and CEL came back on. I drove it back, they hooked up the computer and it said P0011 and now P0016. They ordered and a week later replaced the Crankshaft Sensor, telling me that because the OCV valve was gone, the circuit hadn't told them that it also needed a Crankshaft Sensor, and where the codes were different I had to pay for all this service and part as well. Paid, drove up the street and CEL comes on....again same 2 codes.

I had an appointment at 10 am Monday where I went and they worked on my wife's truck. They flushed the engine, changing oil and oil filter, replaced the OCV Filter and at 3:40 pm told me the code was still on but to take the truck home and they would research more.

Now the truck all week is going through way more gas than normal...idles rough and almost stalls with clutch in, seems like it whines earlier to shift gear but labors when in gear.

Now they contacted me today to tell me perhaps I should look for a used head for it, as they are totally unsure what is causing the problem and also now indicate that it may even actually need a new CVVT Valve...remember they told me earlier that the CVVT Valve that the diagnostics indicated I needed and is printed on my RO, was the same as the OCV valve that they did replace but problem persisted...now they are saying they are different.

Question: If timing belt was replaced on an engine that was having over and under calibrated timing due to electronics failure and the electronics failures were fixed...would the timing be off now at the belt?