Hyundai Veracruz This crossover combines the functionality of a minivan in a sleek exterior with luxury qualities.

Right turn signal blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Default Right turn signal blowing fuse

I am blowing the 15 amp fuse only when I use the right turn signal. The high/ low beams and the left side turn signals work with no problems, but when i turn the right side signals on, it blows a fuse and everything goes out. I disconnected the light and took the rear light bulbs out and it still blows the fuse. I changed the entire turn signal switch, but it still blows the fuse. Open for suggestions please.

This 15 amp is the fuse that blows.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:36 PM

I would make a test light (using headlight bulb) that terminate with blades that go into the fuse socket
The bulb should use about 4 to 5 amps and burn bright..
Then go about moving wires and wire looms to see if the light goes out or even dim
Visual inspection?

A schematic would help to locate some of the way the wire runs
Goo dluck

Old 11-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
I would make a test light (using headlight bulb) that terminate with blades that go into the fuse socket
The bulb should use about 4 to 5 amps and burn bright..
Then go about moving wires and wire looms to see if the light goes out or even dim
Visual inspection?

A schematic would help to locate some of the way the wire runs
Goo dluck
Thanks for the input. I'm not very good at electrical wiring. Do i check at the light plug in? Put a test light grounded to the frame and check the individual ports?

Old 11-03-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Painter
Thanks for the input. I'm not very good at electrical wiring. Do i check at the light plug in? Put a test light grounded to the frame and check the individual ports?
Start at the bulb, socket and proceed from there.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:17 AM

Something you might consider,
What seems likely at this time is there is a direct short circuit to ground for the passenger side turn signal wiring.

Avisitor gave you some good advice, however , don't know if you have the equip to do it. If not, you might be able to do a visual inspection and look for all the places where wires can rub against either sharp edges or get pulled against edges and hope you can locate the short circuit . What I have done at different times was to interrupt the circuit at different locations either from the light end or the flasher end and eventually you will find the area, it just takes a little time and extra work if you don't have the tools to make the job easier. The problem could be at the front or the rear or anyplace in between.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Hanky has help many people.
Please listen to him

Old 11-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Thanks all. I will keep trying to find out what is going on. I have a little old test light with a small light in it. It's for testing automobile wiring. Do i put the 2ends in the fuse space, then go to the light plug, ground one end of another tester and put the other end of the tester into the plug holes to see if i get voltage? Or am I not thinking correctly? When you say you interrupt a wire, what are you doing? Sorry, I never had to find a short before. Also, is there a right side and left side blinker under the dash? Maybe this could be the problem? I can't find any wiring diagram for this vehicle.
Thanks again for your input!

Old 11-04-2020, 06:55 PM

To someone that does this work regularly , the procedure is pretty clear cut, but as in your case not being familiar with electrical and wiring this can seem to be a lot of complicated work.. It is for this reason , I would suggest that you have someone with a little more experience and the tools to tackle this job. Even if I were to attempt to explain the steps , I don't know if you have the tools to do the work. Tools and equip . like wire cutters ,strippers, shrink splice connectors small torch to seal the reconnected wires and so forth. Even if you had access to a wiring diagram, you could get into trouble.

For explanation purposes;
By interrupting the circuit consists of cutting the same color wire that goes to the front sig lamp assy and see if the short circuit has been separated from the power supply to the front lamp for example. Either the fuse would no longer "blow" or it would then you would work your way further back toward the sig sw assy. If all worked good there , now you need to reconnect all the interruptions you did ."Properly". Then go and do the same for the rear. This sounds possibly lengthy and maybe complicated, but can usually be done in a few minutes. There are tools which you do not most likely possess that can do the job without cutting anything. I don't know if you want to get involved with this since you have a limited background here. What do you think?

Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 PM

I appreciate your input. I have some electrical tools and I could cut and splice the wires. I guess I need to figure out what wires go to the fuse at the fuse box and cut one at a time to find the color of the wire that is shorting, then trace that wire?
maybe I could try turning the left turn signal on and go by process of elimination to try to locate the wires to the right turn signals?

Old 11-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Before going thru so much work, just identify which wire goes from the fuse to the turn signal bulb
Look at wire color usually can help. At least, limit the guessing.
I like to make a test light where the ends can fit into the fuse holder
The short will light up the bulb
Then go wriggle wires to see if that can rid of the light.
If there is a reaction from the light to the wriggle then general area where short is found
Typically usually wires near metal or heat or vibration, ... rub thru.
The interrupt method also works but can get frustrating if you do not find the short quickly
Good luck

Quick Reply: Right turn signal blowing fuse