Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

04 350L no start, again.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by drivinfaster
from my experience, a timing belt doesn't partially break. if i read the posts correctly, there was a rough running condition with the used throttle assembly, but a no start with the original one. a timing belt wouldn't exhibit these problems. a timing belt also (generally) does not 'jump' a tooth, either, in normal operation, and, if it *did*, it would still run. believe me, i have had my share of misaligned hyundai/mitsu/kia timing belts to know this would not be my first guess.

didn't i see a post about fuel *in* the throttlebody?? excuse me, but i think that might be an issue.

it is possible the #6 injector could be held open longer, or some other malfunction (like a fuel pressure regulator) that went south that fuel washed the engine. has anyone checked that?? perhaps the fuel took out the throttlebody?? (i cannot say for sure, but gasoline is an excellent solvent)

to the op, if you work at a dealership, do you have access to a power graphing meter?? if so, and there is nothing the is broken (like a fuel pressure regulator or evap purge system malfunction) that would be allowing for extra fuel to come in unmetered, then you will need something like that to scope the injector pattern. you can cut the fuel off to prevent any fuel saturation to the oil (which has probably happened at this point anyway) you will still get a good pattern witht he engine cranking.

as for the 100k warranty, it is transferrable to the immediate family last i knew, so even if she wasn't on the original title, it should still qualify. a timing belt would only void the warranty if it broke due to lack of maintenance. (that being said, these engines do not take too kindly to piston/valve interference, so i would get it done one the thing is running again)

speaking of timing belts, my 05 tucson states 60k t-belt replacement, except for california spec. i called the dealer and the parts manager stated there was no different part number for a california spec vehicle, they were all the same. hmmmm. looks like 90k is my magic #, which should be in about 6-8 weeks. (sorry, i digress....)

anyway, i am just trying to be helpful. i hope that i am.

df
Thanks for the info...However, I do not think it was fuel, I think it may have been coolant that runs through the bottom of the T/B.

We will see what comes out of this, haha.

I am not trying to fight the battle for my sister, however, I feel like this particular dealership is trying to take advantage of her and I felt extremely disrespected as a man the way this adviser talked to me. Unfortunately this dealership is known for things like this, but there is not another Hyundai dealer within a 40 mile radius

Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM

yes, there are coolant hoses that lead to throttle body passages to help reduce icing of the throttle. the coolant, however, should not be *in* the throttle. perhaps some splashed inside as it was removed??

again, this is rather difficult without actually being where the car is. i would venture to say, however, if the thing did attempt to run with the salvage part, perhaps you could check and compare the resistance between the terminals of each unit to see what, exactly, has gone south?? perhaps some fresh plugs as well, with new oil, might be in order as well. like i said, it's tough to diagnose from a keyboard, and, being from the business end of a wrench, i find sometimes i don't always explain the simple things that can sometimes take me seconds to assess when it comes to determining which way to go when looking for a driveability gremlin. i cannot tell you how many times i have tried to help someone only to find they either ran out of gas, had bad gas, a dead or dying battery (all of which were listed as 'checked, found ok').

best of luck with this, though. if i can be of assistance, just let me know.

df

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by xg350
Thanks for the info...However, I do not think it was fuel, I think it may have been coolant that runs through the bottom of the T/B.

We will see what comes out of this, haha.

I am not trying to fight the battle for my sister, however, I feel like this particular dealership is trying to take advantage of her and I felt extremely disrespected as a man the way this adviser talked to me. Unfortunately this dealership is known for things like this, but there is not another Hyundai dealer within a 40 mile radius
XG350 - I guess I wasn't watching closely when you responded with the dealer issue. Sorry for you and your sis. I too hope this turns out OK.

Ken

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xg350
I understand that. But the problem is not a broken belt, I can almost put money on that. I have seen tons of broken belts, and usually causes issues with more than one cylinder. Also, if the belt was actually broken, the vehicle would have never started when I tinkered with it and ran in limp mode, it would have never started at all and all cylinders would have no compression.
So it has run? I was under the impression you couldn't start it. That's why I assumed the belt was broken. If it runs then it can't be a broken belt. Good luck with the dealer. I hope it's covered.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
So it has run? I was under the impression you couldn't start it. That's why I assumed the belt was broken. If it runs then it can't be a broken belt. Good luck with the dealer. I hope it's covered.
After some cranking on her, it would finally fire, but ran in limp mode. You could hold the pedal to the floor and it would rev up very little, hense the limp mode situation.

It could be very well the crack in the block like the bulletin says, but could be something else.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Todays update:

Recieved a phone call from the service adviser at the dealer where the XG is...he told me his tech had to stop right away at tearing down the engine to find the failure because the engine had no coolant in it and it overheated and that right there voided her powertrain warranty.

Wrong, this dealership is so full of BS, I have never seen anything like it I swear. There is no coolant in it, probably because it has a blown cylinder on #6 like their bulletin directly says. The car never overheated, it just so hapened that it died right in front of my house, literally when this all started.

I plan to call the owner of the dealership tomorrow and Hyundai's hotline, I am already tired of getting the run around since my sister is not a normal customer of theirs and they are treating her like dirt.

My question is, this is the third tech that has had to TRY and diagnose the problem, but it sounds to me that they do not even have a qualified enough tech to even work on this engine if some guy is saying the vehicle overheated, that is why there was coolant in it. Give me a break. I wonder who trained that tech?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Fridays update:

I called the dealership and found out what hapened to the engine.

Service Manager said that one of the screws for one of the butterflies in the intake manifold came out of the intake and made itself down into the cylinder #6 and chewed up the piston. His tech did not pull off the head yet so he does not know if the valves are bent, which I am sure they are. He said he had to call his warranty representative manager to see if it would be covered under the 100k powertrain. I do not see why it would not, their warranty covers internal failures, which in my opinion, a screw came loose internally of the intake manifold, and fell down internally of the engine and caused damaged...am I wrong for thinking that this should be covered no questions asked???

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

That should be 100% covered. Don't settle for anything less than a new engine. And don't let them install a used engine either.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

so it went from an overheated engine failure to a loose screw failure (i know, i'm behaving because i could *so* run with that diagnosis...)

anyway, hope it will pan out. stick to your guns and don't let them wiggle out of it.

df

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
That should be 100% covered. Don't settle for anything less than a new engine. And don't let them install a used engine either.
He told me right now he is thinking that its probably going to need a head possibly and a piston.

Ya, great diagnosis huh. He said he knows for sure it needs a piston because its all chewed up but the cylinder wall looks fine. Really? You know the walls look okay without even removing the head from the block? Weird, must have x ray vision!

I wish I could say I want a complete new long block but I dont think thats my decision. I am playing nice guy at this point until I have a for sure answer of what is going on. He was supposed to call me this evening before they closed, and he failed to do so. I guess I will have to wait for a call Monday, I am done calling them, they need to step up and do their job and call me, the customer!

Quick Reply: 04 350L no start, again.