Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Default Airbag light

I've seen several posts on here about the airbag light, but none seem to be completely relevant to me...

My airbag light is on constantly, which eliminates the possibility of passing my Virginia inspection. I had my codes read and there were two: P1707 which is auto cruise brake switch; P1159 which is variable intake target position.

I'm trying to figure out if either of those codes are related to the airbag light. I'd really prefer not to spend the money going to a dealer.

I do also have small issues with my cruise kicking off out of nowhere, and every now and then my TCS and ABS lights come on, but not for long.

Any idea if these are related and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Neither of those codes have anything to do with the air bag system. The engine codes and air bag codes are two totally different systems. The cruise control probal probably has to do with a faulty brake light switch (common problem https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/g...e-lights-6251/). The air bag system needs to be scanned with a dealer-only scanner.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Not necessarily a "dealer-only scanner".

There are mechanic shops that use the Hyundai software, you just ask if they have it. Mostly, the shops own the carman Hi Pro, a scanner that rounds the $4,000 if you want to buy one with warranty.

After scanning the air bags, you might ask to reset the light, and probably that's it. The air bag light will come ON by several reasons, the easiest one to fix is the loose connector under the driver or front passenger seat. Even when you click it right, you must have to reset the light...yes, that is a pain in the butt, but that is how dealers make extra money.

Small accidents also cause the air bag light to come ON "later on", so you will believe that is not related to that small hit with your car. Another cause is a failed air bag, a broken or twisted wire, some loose connections somewhere, etc. The scan will tell you, and you can leave the shop knowing what the problem is.

Unfortunately, even when you remove the air bag computer to disable the system, the air bag light will stay on, and will show codes if scanned.

If you are good fixing cars, the air bag system is not hard to fix, just by following the instructions of the shop manual you can do it by yourself. Of course, after you fix the problem...yes, you must take the car back to the shop and reset the light again... unless you find a carman scan tool with Hyundai software at a cheap price...like $500 on eBay...

Old 08-13-2021, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by pastorben79
I've seen several posts on here about the airbag light, but none seem to be completely relevant to me...

My airbag light is on constantly, which eliminates the possibility of passing my Virginia inspection. I had my codes read and there were two: P1707 which is auto cruise brake switch; P1159 which is variable intake target position.

I'm trying to figure out if either of those codes are related to the airbag light. I'd really prefer not to spend the money going to a dealer.

I do also have small issues with my cruise kicking off out of nowhere, and every now and then my TCS and ABS lights come on, but not for long.

Any idea if these are related and how I can fix it? Thanks.
I know this is an old thread . Have you solve your problem? Acording to youcanic,"Airbag system fault codes are stored in the Airbag Module (SRS Control Unit) to provide accurate information describing why the airbag light is on." You may want to look at this for more details : https://www.youcanic.com/hyundai-airbag-light-stays. You may also want to buy an accurate scanner like foxwell nt624 elite. Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:15 PM

I found a 2-wire cable unplugged (car side) under the driver's seat, but can't find where it goes. Anyone know where the cable it plugs to is located under the seat, approximately? I've looked everywhere under there, but seem to be missing it.

Dave