Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Air bag light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Unhappy Air bag light on

What are my options? My air bag light light is on . I just got a Hyundai Elantra 2000 the other day, and working on trouble shootin a few things. It shows signs of being in some front end accidents... anyway, when the light is on all the time does it mean the air bag has been deployed? or is it some thing I might be able to fix without too much expense? Options/advice?
From what I have came accross somewhere, when the light is on, probly means the air bag will not function if & when I need it? I believe Hyyundai did have a recall back in the day on this. The Autozone guy says take it to a mechanic asap. Also: I already did the unhook the battery & wire under the seat for a couple hrs... didn't work

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM

SRS Codes can only be obtained using Hyundai software.. it's there system.

Decide if it is something you want.. SRS can get rather expensive..

My daily drive was built just prior to SRS coming common place..

Old 04-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Go to a mechanic. It could be a number of things that can only be determined with a computer scan. Yes, if the light is on, the air bags WILL NOT work in an accident. Get it fixed by a trained mechanic.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Default Thanks for the response...

Thank-you both for your info. As far as expense, I only paid $300.00 for the car. I can only figure the fix could cost more than the car. I bought it for a >cheep< commute ride to & from work (25miles one way). The closest Hyundai mechanic is 150 miles one way. It might be sometime before I get there for the codes/fix. At least I don't have to worry about the darn things going off in my face
sbr711< Most of my driving life has been prior to SRS coming common place... I still wonder to this day why my F150 air bags didn't go off when I hit that deer @ 75 m.p.h... I never knew deer could run that fast
Thank-you both for the information.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I kinda agree with you. I've driven a lot with cars that didn't have air bags. I always wear my seat belt and always sit as far away from the steering wheel as possible so I'm not concerned with driving a car with no air bags. However, having one is nice.

As far as the air bags not going off on your Ford, a lot of that has to do with the rare of deceleration. The air bags don't always go off with every impact. It has to do with the rate of deceleration of the vehicle and if the g-force is below a predetermined limit, the bags won't go off. Especially if the passengers are wearing seat belts.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM

I kinda agree with you. I've driven a lot with cars that didn't have air bags. I always wear my seat belt and always sit as far away from the steering wheel as possible so I'm not concerned with driving a car with no air bags. However, having one is nice.

When I hit the deer, we both had seatbelts on. I seen it walk out on interstate, from left to right... figured it would continue to walk across, so I started to drift to the fast lane, then the deer turned back to where it began, so I did too. The deer decided to stop, in the middle of the road and I didn't even brake. Actually no damage at all to my Ford. Only sign of deer was hair on the tow hook/loop below the bumper. I guess that's why they say "Ford Tough."
p.s. I'm glad the air bags didn't work that day... It would have been the most damage caused to my truck. Thanks for listening... I love sharing my deer/Ford experience.