Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

High Pressure P/S hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Default High Pressure P/S hose replacement

Aloha, I have a 2003 xg-350 with a high pressure P/S hose leak. Found the hose and is ordered.
Any idea on time and technique for replacing. Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

Is the hose leaking, or is the fitting loose? Usually the fitting leaks. Worth a lot of time, money and trouble to try tightening the fittings before you try to replace the whole hose.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Many mahalos and thanks, I will try that first. Is it hard to get at?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Having never seen one, I have no idea. But it's not rocket science. The other real possibilities are that the pump itself is leaking out the seals, or the steering rack is leaking. But you won't know that until you actually look at the car.

Last edited by jsinton; 06-02-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Xg's were prone for leaking power steering pressure hoses. They leak from the crimp connection in the right rear cornder of the engine bay. If this area of the hose is wet then you replace the hose from the pump to the rack. It's gonna be a pain if it's your first time and are not a regular R&R guy. Plan on have a full day of work unless you were born to do this and are a natural or get lucky.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Question Power steering pump

How hard is it to replace a power steering pump on a 2004 XG350? My son was given a quote for $550.00. I found a rebuild for $130.00

Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

I just noticed last night that a line on my '05 has started to leak. It appears to be a lower line. I think I've read somewhere that others have had this issue. How hard is this to replace? What has to come out and so on? We are about a week away from going on vacation and I really don't want to travel very far with this leak, but may have to. It isn't a big leak, but will it just all of a sudden get worse?

Originally Posted by mac1
Xg's were prone for leaking power steering pressure hoses. They leak from the crimp connection in the right rear cornder of the engine bay. If this area of the hose is wet then you replace the hose from the pump to the rack. It's gonna be a pain if it's your first time and are not a regular R&R guy. Plan on have a full day of work unless you were born to do this and are a natural or get lucky.
I know this is two years later, but how did the replacement job go? Was it difficult? How did you get to it? Was this the line that runs along the frame? I have to do one on my '05 it looks like. Thanks,Scott

Last edited by NovaResource; 03-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Hello everyone. New to this forum because I'm having the same issue on a 04 XG350L that I just bought from Craigslist. Got it home the other night and this morning a nice little puddle underneath the power steering pump area. I'm hoping this is just a hose instead of the pump as I can't see a feaseable way to get it out.
I just got done spraying about a gallon of simple green in that area and shot it with the pressure washer. Tomorrow, I hope that I cleaned the area sufficiently enough to get a better idea on exactly what is leaking. More to come and of course, suggestions are welcome.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm a bit ashamed and embarrassed to admit I never did anything with it. I can't afford to. The leak did stop shortly there after. Sorry I can't be of much help to you. Hope it goes well!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM

OK, for those that are interested, I managed to identify the leak. The upper hose section going to the gearbox had a crack in it, which turned out to be the culprit. I ordered a hose on AdvanceAuto and used a coupon code (TRT41) to get the price down to under $40. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to discover that when the hose arrived, it was a single assembly, which means I had to change out the entire hose.
The best way to go about doing this is to remove the intake assembly (since cleaning the injectors and changing the plugs was on the menu, removing the entire intake plenum was already planned, but it can be done with just the intake hoses and throttle body removed if your arms are long and bendy enough).
The one thing that nearly got my turrets going at full volume was that the power steering connection was in two pieces. I managed to get the hose nut loose, but it would not turn. With very little visibility in the area, I had to use my hand-eyes to discover what was going on. Turns out there is a second sleeved bolt attached in-between the pump and hose. This had to be secured with a crescent wrench literally wedged in place. Then, with either extreme luck or god-like strength, I was able to get the hose nut loose. (this involved shaving flat the flanged part of the 24 MM socket so there was more area of the socket to grab the nut).
Well, once the old hose was off, getting the new one on was a breeze.
Just so everyone knows, I had to literally straddle the entire engine block while performing this procedure, so be prepared to spend a lot of time on your stomach. I could not see any possible way to accomplish this task from underneath the car. You have to go from the intake side of the back of the engine, which also was the only feasible way to remove the hose to steering box connection.