Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Default Wont start

I had an coolant leak in my 03 xg350. The leak was out of the back side of the water pump where the O-ring is. I decided to put a new timing belt on while I was in there. In the process of taking the alternator off I shorted the hot wire which blew the in-line fuse. I finally got it all back together and correctly timed but the car wont even try to start. It will crank all day long but does not try to fire. I checked all the other fuses in the engine compartment and they all look ok. I do have 1 yellow wire on the left side of the engine that I cant find where it goes. The connector # is 39610-39201 which indicates something with the power steering.
I can e-mail a pic of the wire when my phone charges if that would help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rory

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Rory, you are correct, it is related to the power steering. Is this the connector you are talking about?

If yes, then start from the steering power reservoir

Keep following to the back when it goes down

You will see the power steering line going into a metal block and is connected with bolts into it. Right in front of you, if you pay attention, will be a "male pin" looking at you, like a stick standing up. From your point of view looking at it from the side of the car, will be close to you comparing it with the location of the power steering line.

Here is a picture using the flash, the wire is noticeable going down to the block.

Here is a picture where you can see the location in the yellow circle of the left.

It is hard to reach, so if you can, start just by connecting the power steering pump switch plug right over the pin. Later, from behind the manifold and the cylinder head, use a long needle pliers to push it down. It won't require much effort, just be careful not to break the pin.

Sorry I respond a little late, but I just started posting in this site.

Best wishes.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tacman
I had an coolant leak in my 03 xg350. The leak was out of the back side of the water pump where the O-ring is. I decided to put a new timing belt on while I was in there. In the process of taking the alternator off I shorted the hot wire which blew the in-line fuse. I finally got it all back together and correctly timed but the car wont even try to start. It will crank all day long but does not try to fire. I checked all the other fuses in the engine compartment and they all look ok. I do have 1 yellow wire on the left side of the engine that I cant find where it goes. The connector # is 39610-39201 which indicates something with the power steering.
I can e-mail a pic of the wire when my phone charges if that would help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rory
You better test the alternator.

Other causes of a car not starting after replacing the timing belt are the no coordination between the valves and the pistons. Check that TDC is correct AFTER THE LAST ADJUSTMENT OF THE BELT. In case the cams moved when you were installing the timing belt, well, I guess that you better do a compression test as well, to be sure that no valves are bent. They must give you at least 150 and about 180...less than 100 and zero might tell you that you have bent valves.

When no coordination between pistons and valves exist, or when bent valves, the vehicle won't start, it will crank but will be hard to start.

So, before doing the big job of testing the compression (have to remove the manifold top, remove coils and spark plugs, and use a compressor tester) you better take the alternator to AutoZone or any car parts store to be tested for free. Also check all connectors in general. Be sure that when replacing the timing belt you didn't cause any problem to the crank sensor, like trying to clean it spraying break cleaner to it.

I hate Hyundai mechanical setting, it is hard to work in these cars, I own one, but no more, to repair these vehicles is a lot of work that in many cases is unnecessary if the parts were set differently.

Best wishes.