New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Flashing check egine indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 PM
Default Flashing check egine indicator

Hi my name is Kateri, i am new member, and have had some issues with my ' new to me ' 2010 accent.
At first the car drove beautiful for 4-5days, then after driving @ 45 miles (speed45-50) when i began to slow down the check engine indicator started blinking. Blinked 5 times and then shut off. It did not happen for a few days, as i make the same 45 mile drive to work everyday .
I put it on the road on June 1st, 2 days ago on my ride to work , the same thing happened again although this time the indicator light has stayed
on. Today however when i slowed to turn into a parkinglot , it felt li,e the car was going to stall. I pulled over into a epace and placed the car in park to see if it was going to stall. It idled rough for a few minutes and when i finished work 6 hrs later, I started the car and drove home. No rough idle or stall , i did notice going up hill seemed not so great ( losing 6 mph during hills).

Old 06-15-2020, 08:28 AM

Before offering any suggestions , we should know what if any maintenance was /has been done.
Routine maintenance like spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil changes, are important and can contribute to performance.
Can you help us out here?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:38 AM

A CEL (check engine light) tell the driver that there is something the ECU detected which is wrong
A flashing CEL means there is something wrong which can cause damage to the engine or transmission or exhaust
Many times a flashing CEL will mean that catalytic converter is being damaged due to fuel burning issue
Either too much fuel or too little fuel or incomplete burn
To find out what the ECU sees, mechanics use a scanner.
For those of us who can not afford a scanner, we use a simple code reader
It plugs into the DLC (data link connector)
All cars after 1996 use OBD II (on board diagnostic two)
But, there are specific codes which are determined by manufacturers

Hanky is right. Need to know more about maintenance
Or you need to perform some maintenance on the vehicle to keep it running smoothly
Good luck with the (new to you) ride