New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyundai Service Manager

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Default Hyundai Service Manager

Hello, I am a Hyundai Parts & Service Director in Calif. I have been with Hyundai 4 years and have 32 years automotive experience. If I can help, I will!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Default RE: Hyundai Service Manager

Great! thanks. I need help with my gearbox on a 1997 Accent Manual. UK

Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Great--just purchased new Azera Ltd--can you tell me if it comes from Factory with synthetic motor oil? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM

No on the synthetic oil- Comes with 5w-20 Quaker State.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

HYUNDAI35- Did you get a PM from me?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Hello

I just had an oil change and filter done at my local Hyundai dealer (Ontario,Canada) as I just got my 99 Accent (used), and always replace all my fluids to remove any doubts as to WHAT was used by others. (helps me sleep better also !!!).

The service manager suggested that I use synthetic oil, because of its better cold starting abilities (-30), and superior anti-wear advantage,to name just a few. Hyundai Canada has their own synthetic oil labelled Hyundai Full Synthetic 5W20 (no other types available) in plastic bottles. They use the same grade of oil (but NOT synthetic) as what comes in new cars from factory. as you mentioned in your post. It can be used year round and our summers get up to +34C.

They have used 5W20 in all Hyundai cars,SUV's and never had any problems. He assured (and laughed), when I said but what about "leaks" as my 99 has 185,000 km on it.........."a MYTH started by somebody". Synthetic oil has additives that actually "swell up and re-condition" old seals, and has been fully tested by Hyundai. Due to the fact that synthetic oil actually makes less sludge components and removes exsisting deposits, some people think their old "gunk" being removes will cause leaks....that's what those swelling additives are their for in the first place.

It is better (manager said), to see synthetic oil become dark and "used looking", (faster then regular oil)because it's doing its job and removing old sludge and deposits from internal parts and getting them into "suspended particles"...then the filter can trap them. The anti wear additives are better put on metal surfaces rather than just overtop sludge already there. Synthetic oil then fills-in (within reason) small irregularities in metal surfaces to prevent further wear and abrassions to bearings and things.

Synthetic oil works the same as "blood cells" I think....meaning that if they are all the same size and shape,they can get through the bearings (like blood in capillaries in humans) much easier and that's why 5W20 can still lubricate even at high temps. It doesn't "burn off" as easily as regular oil,and can take high temps.without breaking down.

Hyundai-Kia (OEM) filters are designed to trap more contaminents in suspension (more uniform filtering structure and large surface area), and have the correct valve-bypass settings to maintain constant oil flow, in case of severe blockage for whatever reason.This is why they are larger (mine is the size of a toilet paper roll...no kidding !!!!). It was suggested that after 2500 km I am to return to dealer and replace filter to remove any possibility of excessive deposits (due to my high mileage), and unknown car history. AFTER checking oil in filter, he will advize me if I should go the full 8,000km or change at 4000 km (based on contamination of oil/filter)......doesn't hurt to replace filter only and top-up with same oil before due date.

Anyway......I'm the inqisitive type and can't stand sitting in a waiting room reading a magazine.....I'd rather be out in a service bay watching and asking questions about what,why and learning something about what goes into my car.!!!!! My service manager is just great and actually took me out and introduced me to the mechanics while working on my car.(just don't stand under car while on hoist).

I only mention this as my experience and what I was told, and don't want to start a flame-war about "regular" oil vrs. synthetic oils. In MY case the synthetic blends are more suitable for MY requirements ONLY..... I didn't mind spending $15 more for synth oil and OEM filter. I shall sleep better knowing that my filter was prelubricated (around seal), 3/4 filled, hand-tightened ,and old oil was drained for 20 min.(while they checked/inspected everything under the hood).......NOT all dealers are the same I found out !!!

I hope this has helped in some small way.
I edited this a

Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Good report! I thought I'd throw my two cents in about one thing you said:
ORIGINAL: slarty42

Hyundai-Kia (OEM) filters are designed to trap more contaminents in suspension (more uniform filtering structure and large surface area), and have the correct valve-bypass settings to maintain constant oil flow, in case of severe blockage for whatever reason.
The bypass valve setting is critical. It isn't just a case ofblockage you need to worry about. During times of high oil volumedemand, even with a clean filter, the bypass valve may open. If it doesn't open when it's supposed to, you can get oil starvation resulting in engine knock and maybe even worse.

There is actually a TSB out there from Hyundai stating that some aftermarket filters can cause oil starvation. I've seen it reported that Fram filters were the worst offender. Fram has something like 5 product lines of oil filters, but only one line has a filter for Hyundais. I have no idea if that has the proper specs for the bypass valve, but if an oil shop has one of the other Fram lines and doesn't have the right filter, they might substitute a filter from a Honda.... similar name, same mounting provisions, good replacement, right?

Wrong. To prevent oil starvation, Hyundais need the bypass valve to open 12 to 15 psi. The Honda bypass valve spec is 14 to 18 psi. If a Honda filter is used, you *might* get lucky and get a filter that bypasses at the low end of the rang, but if you get one that doesn't bypass until 18 psi, you're Hyundai engine will be hurting.

This is important to know for Hyundai owners. Because our cars are often confused with Hondas, you have to be careful.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

If I have a VIN and manufacturer for a certain automobile is it possible to get the complete service data for that car? If so, where does one go for the info? Thanx

Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Hello from a complete novice mechanic!

I decided that $150 was too much to spend at a shop for a sparkplug replacement on my 2005 Accent, so I'm going to try it myself. Everything looks pretty straightforward except the "gap" part. I just picked up some Champion RC10YC4 plugs at the store ($7!!!) and am almost ready to go to work. Just looking for a little encouragement from an expert, and any tips on the process (especially regarding any gap adjustment I need to do).

Sincerely,

-A broke student who hopes he doesn't ruin his car!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Hello and [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forums..Happy to have a Person with your Hyundai Experiance in here with us...
Thank You for joining up with us...

WheelBroker1 [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Hyundai Service Manager