New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hyundai owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Default New Hyundai owner

Hi everyone,

I am new(ish) to Hyundai and new to this forum. When I met my now-husband, he was driving a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track. I won't say that's the ONLY reason I went for him (how shallow is that?) but it certainly didn't hurt, either. I am the only other person he has let drive that car. It's fast...maybe even TOO fast for normal Oregon driving. This is coming from the girl with 4 speeding tickets in the past 3 years.

The Genesis Coupe was my first experience driving a Hyundai. I had ridden in some past model Hyundais and was only mildly impressed, so I have been surprised at the company's improvements in the past few years.

Anyhoo, I was driving a loaded, relatively low-mileage '89 Honda Accord Lx-i, which I have to say was an awesome ride, even by today's standards, other than its age was showing engine-wise. Breathing in oil smoke and having it billow from my engine, thanks to oil burning onto the exhaust manifold: embarrassing and probably not great for my health.

Before that, I had briefly owned a POS Honda Civic, a '92 Nissan Stanza and a '91 Toyota MR-2, a '93 Toyota Pickup, a '77 Mercedes-Benz 300D. And a couple of unmentionable American cars. All decent rides, but as you can tell I came from a family whose ethos is, "NEVER BUY NEW."

However, as I found myself foreseeing mounting future problems with my Honda, I started my car search. I drove a Kia Forte (meh) a Honda Fit (weird dashboard) and a Ford Fiesta. I actually liked the Fiesta the best...that is, BEFORE I went to the Hyundai dealer. I shouldn't have been surprised, and my hubby was really enthusiastic about going, too. I drove the 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited, with the moonroof and leather seats, and didn't look back.

We both have been happy with our Hyundais so far, other than...if this hasn't already been discussed on this forum:

The Genesis has a plastic tranny pan, which easily broke open when he accidentally ran over a curb. I know, running over a curb is stupid, but it's easy to do when you live in Portland where there is poor street lighting in places and perpetually wet roads. Cost him $1,238 to fix.

Cheers!