New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible New Elantra Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Default Possible New Elantra Owner

Hello all,

I've been considering purchasing a 2014 Elantra Limited to replace my dying 2001 Subaru, but I was really hoping to get some input from owners before I actually head in to a dealership. Based on what I've been able to find here and there, I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions I have about durability and wear, such as;

~How quickly do the tires wear down? (I've read a couple owner reviews that the tires can wear down quickly and cut tire life in half)

~How well does the Elantra perform in snow and ice conditions? (northern Minnesota driver, we can have some bad conditions at times)

~Is the estimated mpg actually accurate? (Mixed reports on review sites)

~Replacement parts costs?

~Anything else a new owner should know?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate your time!

Last edited by LongDistance; 02-03-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

~How quickly do the tires wear down? (I've read a couple owner reviews that the tires can wear down quickly and cut tire life in half)
I haven't heard of any major wear problems. Alot depends on the driver and the roads driven on.

~How well does the Elantra perform in snow and ice conditions? (northern Minnesota driver, we can have some bad conditions at times)
About as well as any FWD compact car. If your are in Minnesots, I'd suggest getting dedicated winter tires. That woudl solve your problem with snow driving and tire wear. But I would suggest that for any car, not just the Elantra.

~Is the estimated mpg actually accurate? (Mixed reports on review sites)
Again, that depends on the driver. If you drive in an efficient manner I don't think you will have problems getting the estimated MPG. If you are a lead foot that does a lot of stop-n-go city driving and let the car idle a lot you will get lower MPG.

~Replacement parts costs?
Depends on the dealer. Some charger more than others. Personally, I buy parts online. Many advertise here.