New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa fe 03 acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Default Santa fe 03 acceleration problems

I have an 03 santa fe 2.7l 6v engine that out of no where started to accelerate on its own. Also when i come to a stop sign if i dont keep my foot on the gas it will completely shut off on me. When i go to start it sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont at all. Would smell like gas also. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter,iac valve, spark plugs, tps, fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow sensor and still doing the same thing. I have read that aloy of these Santa fe are having the same issue with acceleration and no one has come up with a solution. Can someone help please. There was an accident where i live with a Santa Fe with the same acceleration problem it reached 100mph and killed all 3 passengers.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 PM

It takes time for a car to reach that speed especially if one held the brakes down.
As I would assume anyone would do .. even in a panic mode.
And locked brakes can certainly do quite a bit to control the speed of a car.
Why didn't the person turn the engine off?
Or put the gear to neutral?
Sorry, don't believe it.

Try cleaning out the EGR or disconnect the vacuum line if is vacuum actuated
Or unplug the electrical connector if it is electrically controlled
See if the engine runs any better.
If it does then replace EGR

Last edited by avisitor; 08-27-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:35 AM

If you talking about the accident here it is. I dont need to lie. It was later said it was mechanical. All men were elderly.

Three people were killed after a high-speed crash on West 12th Street in Erie Friday afternoon.

The driver of the SUV blew through the red light at 12th and Cherry Streets and hit a tractor-trailer just after 2 p.m., according to investigators. It split the car into two pieces.

The semi, which was heading north on Cherry, had the green light, police told Erie News Now.

Part of the vehicle became wedged into the truck while the other part landed more than 400 feet away.

All three men inside the car were killed instantly.

Police are still trying to identify the driver and passengers. Police say all of the victims were African-American males, but their names and ages have not been disclosed. All of the men were missing a form of identification, Erie Police Traffic Investigator Jeff Annunziata said.

The SUV had a Pennsylvania license plate and was recently purchased, but investigators aren't sure if the three men were from the area.

A third vehicle was hit by the bottom half of the car. That driver was uninjured but told Erie News Now speed was certainly a factor in the crash.

The driver was traveling up to speeds of 100 miles per hour, Erie Police Chief Donald Dacus said. Some call it the worst accident they've seen in their careers.

"I've been doing this job for almost 32 years and it's the worst one I've ever seen," said Annunziata.

"This is unlike anything we've ever seen in the city," said Dacus. "It's definitely a very high-speed accident that's probably more consistent with the interstate than the inner-city."

"To go underneath and take off the top of the van and continue moving, there must have been quite the momentum there," said Mike Fahey, Erie Fire Department deputy chief.

Police do not believe the driver was racing anyone else.

Where would the EGR Valve be located cause my bf has looked for it and hasn't found it.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM

Didn't say you lie.
I said I don't believe it.
Still don't. But, that doesn't matter.

Here is a video for PCV
A clogged or faulty PCV can cause engine surges.

There doesn't seem to be much for the EGR.
The EGR is for exhaust gas recirculation.
Exhaust gas comes from the exhaust manifold and goes to the EGR valve.
Most are vacuum activated. It opens and lets exhaust gas back into the cyclinder which
reduces the temperature of the burn and produces less Nitrogen Oxide (pollution)
If it is stuck open then it can make the engine idles rough and cause hard starts.

Most of this is just guessing cause .. can't actually do any testing
And can't actually see how the engine is running

Wish you good luck