New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I will become (I think!) the proud owner of a 2006 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Default Today I will become (I think!) the proud owner of a 2006 Sonata

I haven't signed the papers yet, and I still have to speak with my credit union. I originally went out looking for a Taurus or Mazda, as those are what I'm used to, but this car got my attention. Also it has warranty left, which is nice. It's a 2006 GLS, V6, with about 33,000 miles on it for $10,000. The car is very clean, drove nice.

I have some questions about the car I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've noticed other questions in this forum but if this isn't the proper section to post them, please redirect me and I will repost there.

After researching it this weekend, it seems that the camp is divided, either the car has been trouble free or one continous set of problems. I realize that people with problems are going to make the most noise but, naturally, I'm a little nervous. I was wondering if anything had been identified as a common factor in the lemons, such as manufacturing date or serial number.

Also, after we were driving for about 20-25 minutes, the ABS and ESC light came on, and pushing the ESC switch off and on wouldn't turn the ESC off. The sales person said it was most likely a sensor issue and that he would get it corrected under the warranty before delivery. Reading the manual on line, the ABS light is an indicator of a problem with the ABS system, athough the breaking on the car was fine. I came across an April 2009 recall which may be causing it: Hyundai Sonata Recalls
Sonata SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:SWITCHES:BRAKE LIGHT Recall – ID# 67772
but I'm concerned it may be a bigger issue. Often, once you have one electrical issue, they just keep continuing, but it's hard to find a car now days that doesnt have power everything.

My other concern is the warranty. I've read where Hyundai has refused to honor the warranty for one reason or another, and I'm wondering how common it is for that to actually happen. The person who had the car appears to have left his papers for oil changes etc, and although I didn't go through every single item, I didn't see any major repairs. I intend to request something in writing stating all the current maintenance is up to date at the time of purchase, and see if they have or could change the cabin and air conditioner filters. The sales person said they change the oil and fluids as part of their inspection.

I didn't see car mats, and the cargo net was missing, but I saw the cargo net on ebay for 10 bucks. I know it has the drivers key and fob, but I'm not sure if it has the sub key. If it doesn't have car mats or sub key, should I request that the dealer provide them, or is it expected that I replace those on my own? It is a Hyundai dealership, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult to have parts supply those but since it is a used car, I'm not sure about the protocol for those things.

I didn't notice any blemishes inside or out, although I've read the body chips and dents easily. I really like this car, it had a smooth ride, the seat belts were "big girl friendly" and it handled well. I'm wondering if I'm over looking anything or if any of you have and suggestions as to other things I should inquire about. I haven't had to car shop in 10+ years. Someone hit my 95 Mazda 626. I originally purchased that car used as well, and after 11 years and 130,000 miles it was mostly trouble free. I believe in driving a car until it is no longer driveable. Is it realistic to expect 10+ years of service from the Sonata?

Also, does anyone know why the insurance is so high on this car? It took me forever to get a rate about 70/month. Most places wanted 125+. I realize it's a V6, but it doesn't strike me as sporty.

I appreciate any help and advice you can offer.

Last edited by Sukiyaki; 05-11-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

I'd make them fix the ABS light and the ESC (?... don't know what that is) before I took delivery. Also, I'd purchase a Carfax on it so you can see where it's been. A 2006 w/33,000 miles means it's either a rental car or a lease. I don't think I'd buy a rental, although leases are usually ok.

I'd get a written statement on warranty coverage, also I'd make sure I understood the maintainenece schedule, and verified that all maintainence was done on time because that's what makes or breaks the warranty.

The insurance is ok, you do want full coverage, don't you? $70 a month is ok.

Parts are easy to find.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
Also, after we were driving for about 20-25 minutes, the ABS and ESC light came on, and pushing the ESC switch off and on wouldn't turn the ESC off. The sales person said it was most likely a sensor issue and that he would get it corrected under the warranty before delivery. Reading the manual on line, the ABS light is an indicator of a problem with the ABS system, athough the breaking on the car was fine. I came across an April 2009 recall which may be causing it: Hyundai Sonata Recalls
Sonata SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:SWITCHES:BRAKE LIGHT Recall – ID# 67772
but I'm concerned it may be a bigger issue. Often, once you have one electrical issue, they just keep continuing, but it's hard to find a car now days that doesnt have power everything.
The brake light switch is faulty and needs to be replaced. The switch is an integral part of the both the antilock brake (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC) systems.

My other concern is the warranty. I've read where Hyundai has refused to honor the warranty for one reason or another, and I'm wondering how common it is for that to actually happen. The person who had the car appears to have left his papers for oil changes etc, and although I didn't go through every single item, I didn't see any major repairs. I intend to request something in writing stating all the current maintenance is up to date at the time of purchase, and see if they have or could change the cabin and air conditioner filters. The sales person said they change the oil and fluids as part of their inspection.
Like other car companies, there is a broad range in dealership experiences with warranty claims. Yes, it appears some will go out of their way to avoid honoring any warranty issue, others are more flexible. It sounds like the car has been well kept and was serviced at ~30K, which is a major milestone service interval. You do not have to take the car back to the same Hyundai dealership you purchased the from or the one that sold the car to the original owner. You can go to any Hyundai dealership for warranty repairs, so ask around if there is a difference in local dealers. Also, hang onto those service records.

I didn't see car mats, and the cargo net was missing, but I saw the cargo net on ebay for 10 bucks. I know it has the drivers key and fob, but I'm not sure if it has the sub key. If it doesn't have car mats or sub key, should I request that the dealer provide them, or is it expected that I replace those on my own? It is a Hyundai dealership, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult to have parts supply those but since it is a used car, I'm not sure about the protocol for those things.
Car mats, cargo net and mud guards were a "special" add-on package when I purchased my 2008 Sonata. I paid more than I later found them for on the internet months after I bought the car. Ask away, the worse they can say is "no".

Is it realistic to expect 10+ years of service from the Sonata?
I'm like you, I'm hoping for 15+ years out of mine. There is one issue with the 2006 V6 Sonata you should ask about. The V6 engines in the 2006 model year were built with faulty timing chain tighteners. Ask if this problem has been resolved in this car. Any Hyundai service manager can look up the VIN to see if this repair has been done. There is a technical service bulletin discussing this matter on the Hyundai Service web site.

Good luck.