Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

How do you rank your dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Default RE: How do you rank your dealer?

On a scale from 1-10, (10 being the highest) I would rank my dealership a 6.5. They are nice people but I had to go in 3 times for my window tape. It is still pealing now, I just decided to tuck the thing in. I can't keep wasting my time if the stuff isn't going to last.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Well, as a brand new 06 Sonata owner (about 9 hours or so) I cant comment on the service aspect...hoping it is great.

But from a sales aspect, I had one bad and one great experience.....

First experience was two evenings ago.....dealer called me on the phone (internet lead) and said he could make me a great deal on a demo with 1300 miles.....we get the kids to a sitter, etc etc and go down right after work.....3 hours later, they wanted us to pay $400 over invoice with no consideration for the fact that it was a used (though untitled) car........Not a great deal IMHO. The big burly store manager sat there and told us how he was "overvaluing" our trade in and we were lucky to get that, etc......Not pleasant. The way I see it, a car is like a pair of underpants...once someone else's butt has been in it for any length of time, it is USED! Who knows how that car was treated in its first 1300 miles, right? Ironically, had he chopped off $500 or so we would have probably bought that one.....This was Cochran Hyundai South Hills.

Last night, we visited Bowser Hyundai in Pleasant Hills PA....Jeff sat down with us, used no high pressure tactics and made us a fair deal on the same car, only brand new but no sunroof (which we really didnt care about)......no screwing around with back-and-forth stuff....no huge burly manager coming out trying to intimidate....we told them him what we wanted, they countered, and then we met in the middle.,..Jeff left the desk just ONCE to talk to his manager.....when he came back he was ready to deal. We struck a fair deal, I think. I am sure they made money on the deal, but that's OK....We paid about $450 over Kelly blue book invoice....about $1100 off of the sticker....and got what I thought was fairon our tradein......(its depressing how little a car is worth after 7 years and 110k miles)

The finance guy was very helpful and made us very comfortable....didnt try selling us all the usual crap...he offered, we declined, he moved on....then, after he heard about our story about Cochran, the store manager came in to meet us (this was the FIRST time all night!) after we had already signed for the car and took 1% off of our Hyundai financing rate and gave us a $1300 extended warranty for $493 total. I was shocked! He said "You'll tell 100 people about your bad experience at the otherp lace and hopefully tell the same 100 people about your experience here, and that will help me sell more cars!".... Bowser is the areas best volume dealer, I was told...and I can see why! (Geez, I sound like an advertisement)

I am hoping that their service is as good.....we shall see! I am pretty picky when it comes to service....

We love the features in the car, and it rides great and has plenty of zip...although the 6 would have been nice, we were worried about economy overall.

Thats my story......hopefully it will go on to be a great one!

Shadango

Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10, with ten being the best, I would have to rate my service center at Hyundai a 10 so far. Not once have I had a problem with Valley Stream Hyundai over here in NY.
In the begining when I was doing research on the Santa Fe I heard so many horror stories of dealerships and their service centers that I came close to saying no to getting one. Previously I had a Mazda and ironically I had it service at a joint Mazda/Hyundai service center. Man that was a mistake. Vowed never to go there again. But upon checking other brands and their horror stories of service I decided to go for it Hyundai and service it at another dealership. Although I cannot rate my dealership for the sale since I bought mine through CarsDirect over in NJ, the service I have recieved at VS have been so far exceptional. In fact I was so surprised the first time that I even sent a letter of commendation to Hyundai headquarters on how they treated me.

TS out

Old 08-31-2005, 02:33 AM

Shadango -- As a Ford dealer employee, and extremely active member at several Ford Truck websites (5000+ posts), it sucks to hear stories like your first one. You unwittingly stumbled into a "liner/closer" store. Your first salesman gets you interested, goes on your test drive, lines you up. The sales manager then comes over, sees how you are doing, then throws the high pressure trick on you. Many so-called "hassle-free" stores still run this tactic. Personally, as soon as I see a closer come over, that's when I get the heck out of Dodge. Or Hyundai, or whatever

Ironically, the best sales experience seems to be at the small independant lots. They usually give their salesmen free reign, that's if there is a sales manager there at all. But you have to watch what you buy.

But to get back to Hyundai dealership experience, I couldn't be happier. Since my last post on this thread, we've had our first oil change. My girlfriend just sat in the waiting room for about a half-hour and they were done. First one was free, but they're $19.95 after this.

And our dealer is the largest on the west coast, so they say. I have no reason to doubt them. I live down the street, and they constantly have different inventory.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:49 PM

I had a horrible experience with my dealer. Capitol Hyundai in Columbia South Carolina. When I asked them to take a look at the clutch(I was having trouble getting the car in gear...all gears), and check the air bag light, it took them 3 hours to reset a light that had a bunch of codes they hadn't seen before and didn't know what to do about. And at 37k miles on a 2 year old car with the original tires and original brakes, I was told the clutch was smoked and it would be $900 to fix it. No questions about how long it had been acting up or anything. They just jumped to the customer pay side of it. I had been bringing the car in for the past 2 years for all the general servicing.

After calling HMA and finding out they can't/won't do anything without the dealer backing, I took it for a second opinion about an hour away. The dealership in Florence South Carolina is much smaller, only three service bays and one of those without a lift. The service manager was very helpful, he listened to me rant and rave about how I had been treated. He did explain(as I already knew and understood) the warranty, but he couldn't believe that it was put to me right off the bat without someone looking further into the issue. Turns out the pressure plate was faulty, A WARRANTIED ITEM, so the whole job was covered. The job didn't end up costing me a dime, just my time driving an hour away for service with one 10 min away.

Sorry this is a ramble.....this all just got resolved today and I still get worked up over the way Capitol treated me. The bottom line......NEVER GO TO CAPITOL HYUNDAI. Florence is the place to go.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM

The dealer here in ohio. Seems very fair. They are loc. off the Bedford Automile in the Cleveland.. So far we've been trying to set up with performance parts at the dealer. It's seem that it's going very well..

Old 01-11-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ranger99

it seems to me that this site is mostly american, does anyone know if there is a canadian website, and does any one know where in toronto i can get a fair deal on a hyundai

The Hyundai dealer I go to is located in Toronto called Par Hyundai. I find them great and not too pushy when it comes to buying. 8.5/10.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 PM

I bought my Accent in September of 05. With nearly 9000 miles on it, I have not taken the car back to the dealer for any reason.
The salesman was very helpful though not his fault for dragging out the process of purchase. Haven't dealt with the service dept yet. They have called several times for service but, I have always had the fear that they seem to find something wrong no matter what. I guess I have had implanted in my head that dealers only want your money. I frankly don't trust them.
My Opinion,
Brant

Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

I buy all of my cars used. There are no payments, dealers, hasles, or anything like that. I bought my Accent for 1000 and it is a great car, granted I put alot of money into it, but all of which was by choice.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 PM

I didn't buy my car new, but have had it to a local dealer for service a few times. Not impressed. The first time was a "no start" condition; after having it for a week they finally got around to replacing the crank sensor. The second time was to diagnose transmission noise (5-speed). They had the car for four or five days and called me with "Good News!! Your transmission is bad so it's covered under the warranty." Uh-huh, a bad manual transmission on a car with 53K on it doesn't sound like good news. Anyway, they replaced the tranny and I later found: 1.) Missing bolt and washer for the air inlet/ radiator support 2.) One of the underside plastic gaurds was reassembled with ONE of the four bolts and flapping in the wind. 3.) The oil pressure sensor was not hooked up. This kind of "professionalism" is the reason I do most of my own work.

Quick Reply: How do you rank your dealer?