Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Mechanic Required

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 04:53 AM
Default Mechanic Required

Looking for a mechanic in the Midlands Uk or close by, We have a problem with the Abs Module on a 2008 Tucson The garage have fitted the abs module that we have brought warranted working. they are saying they have fitted but at certain speeds the abs is not cutting in. looking to pay to get this car back on the road only 80000 on the clock apart from this problem the car is in good condition
if anyone know of someone or somewhere that can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks Tel

Old 03-05-2020, 04:25 PM

I'm not clear on what you are describing.
Is the ABS light on now?
When the ABS is working correctly and a wheel locks up (stops rolling) the wheel speed sensor sends a message to the module to release the hydraulic pressure to that wheel. Is this what you are attempting to tell us ? Maybe I misunderstood what you are attempting to tell us. Most folks don't mind if the ABS works or not because the sudden application and release of the solenoids in the module felt in the brake pedal surprises them.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:59 PM

Hi Hanky, Thanks for getting back, sorry I a little out of my comfort zone with this technical repair. The story so far and I’ll try and make it brief
Took the car into the garage because it felt like the Abs was cutting in when braking normally , not every time but had happened a few times.
garage told us it needed new disc, pads and callipers , once this was completed we were told the Abs was locking the brakes and they could not fix it, they sent it away to see if a repair was possible, was told it could not be repaired we would need a new Abs pump. Hyundai have stopped making these so we have had to search for a second hand , which we eventually found it was warranted as in working order
The garage has now fitted this there is no Abs light showing but the garage have told us it is not working correct and will fail the mot, On a test they say at 60mph when brakes are applied the wheels lock and the Abs is not cutting in.
I have read on a few topics that the Abs may need to be programmed once fitted, I have asked the garage about this and was told it did not give them an option to program it. As I say I’m not that mechanically minded but have lost a little faith in the garage, they may be right but would like to get a second opinion on it.
sorry so long winded, I’m just not sure which way to go with it, the car is in good condition only 75000 on the clock on a 2008 plate and a nice drive.
hope I have explained that clear enough.
thanks Terry

Old 03-06-2020, 05:44 AM

Thank you,
As stated earlier, the ABS module gets signals from the wheel speed sensors and if the signal drops out, the ABS gets activated and dumps the hydraulic pressure to that wheel..A good scan tool will usually tell you which wheel has the problem and we go from there.
It could be a sensor out of adjustment, dirty, defective or even a bad wheel bearing..
What would cause the ABS to operate without applying the brakes, I have to give that some thought and don't know if that is even possible.
There should be an ABS fuse, has that fuse been checked, simple but might be overlooked.
A good shop should with the right tools be able to correct this, might be something to consider.

If they replaced the calipers, and didn't bleed the air out of the hydraulic brake system, requires the use of a scan tool to open the valves in the ABS module, that could also contribute to the problem.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:15 AM

Hi Hank
Thanks for your thoughts on this, Yeah I think it’s time to try another garage that can do this scan. Never going to know if this problem has been caused by the garages ignorance in the work they were carrying out and if I really needed to replace the ABS .
Still, thank you for your advice.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Under the circumstances not much more to suggest. Sometimes some shops are too proud to admit they don't have sufficient info to diagnose correctly.