Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2021 Elantra SEL: Is Gas Gauge Accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 03:37 PM
Default 2021 Elantra SEL: Is Gas Gauge Accurate?

Hello, everyone. I just leased a 2021 Elantra SEL two weeks ago. I was hoping I could get some feedback and comments about something I think isn't quite right. It's minor, but annoying.

I don't think the gas gauge is accurate. I'm not 100 % sure, which is why I'm here asking for advice.

When I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the gas gauge needle was moving fairly quickly. It started right on the F line, but when I got home, just a few

miles, it was already off the F line. With my previous Elantra (2019), I could drive 50 miles before the gas gauge began to move off the F.

I filled the gas tank up after 13 days, and 184 miles--although there was already a few miles on that tank of gas, since the dealership had to fill it before giving it to me. The gas gauge read less than half full. It was on the first line below the midpoint. (The attached image shows a yellow arrow that points to that position.)

When I got my first fill-up, the receipt said 5.63 gallons were put in. This is where I began to believe something's wrong.

The tank holds 14 gallons of gas. That means the halfway point on the gas gauge should be 7 gallons. When I drove into gas station, the gas gauge was where the yellow arrow points to. That's MORE than 7 gallons, if I understand the gauge correctly. But the tank took less than 6.

As you can see in the attached image, this tank only has 51.6 miles on it. The previous tank of gas averaged 30 mpg in round figures. So, I've used less than two gallons, but look at where the red needle is.

This doesn't seem accurate to me. Am I right? This just doesn't feel right to me. Is the gas gauge not calibrated correctly? I figured I'd as about it here before going to the service department of the dealership.

What do you think? Thank you. Jd

Old 01-16-2022, 07:33 AM
Default Gas gauge accuracy

Originally Posted by jdanniel
Hello, everyone. I just leased a 2021 Elantra SEL two weeks ago. I was hoping I could get some feedback and comments about something I think isn't quite right. It's minor, but annoying.

I don't think the gas gauge is accurate. I'm not 100 % sure, which is why I'm here asking for advice.

When I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the gas gauge needle was moving fairly quickly. It started right on the F line, but when I got home, just a few

miles, it was already off the F line. With my previous Elantra (2019), I could drive 50 miles before the gas gauge began to move off the F.

I filled the gas tank up after 13 days, and 184 miles--although there was already a few miles on that tank of gas, since the dealership had to fill it before giving it to me. The gas gauge read less than half full. It was on the first line below the midpoint. (The attached image shows a yellow arrow that points to that position.)

When I got my first fill-up, the receipt said 5.63 gallons were put in. This is where I began to believe something's wrong.

The tank holds 14 gallons of gas. That means the halfway point on the gas gauge should be 7 gallons. When I drove into gas station, the gas gauge was where the yellow arrow points to. That's MORE than 7 gallons, if I understand the gauge correctly. But the tank took less than 6.

As you can see in the attached image, this tank only has 51.6 miles on it. The previous tank of gas averaged 30 mpg in round figures. So, I've used less than two gallons, but look at where the red needle is.

This doesn't seem accurate to me. Am I right? This just doesn't feel right to me. Is the gas gauge not calibrated correctly? I figured I'd as about it here before going to the service department of the dealership.

What do you think? Thank you. Jd

I noticed the same thing after leaving the dealer and at 1/2 tank only took like 6 gallons to fill up. Could be tank is a little larger at bottom 1/2?

Old 01-16-2022, 08:07 AM

I don't know about the size of the bottom, but what we need to know is the total capacity of both tanks. A larger tank will take longer to empty and this could be one of the reasons.
I would suggest that you check the number of miles traveled against the amount of gas consumed for starters.Then look at the mileage figures for both vehicles.
If you find there is a big difference I would ask the dealership why.