Hyundai Matrix This sub compact hatchback offers excellent interior room for both passengers and cargo.

Weird Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Unhappy Weird Instrument Panel

Hello All,

Am driving a 2005 Hyundai Matrix 1.6A FL. My instrument panel (Speedo, Tacho, etc) has been acting weirdly lately.
After parking for 1 day or so, when i start the car, my time starts flashing or does not appear at all, after waiting for 10 -40 seconds (Depending on how long the car wasn't started), the time stops flashing, and all needles start working. They remain working all the way while driving.
If car isn't parked too long (2-3hours), the next start up, the needles work straight away. Problem is on when car has been parked overnight. Once i went overseas for 3 days and they took 1 min or so to start working.

Self have taken out the instrument cluster, took out the connection, and connect back but to no avail.
Mechanic is lost as well. Any ideas?

Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Check all your fuses first.
Both in the engine bay and in the cabin

Thinking is that you may have blown the fuse that keeps power to those instruments when the key is off

Old 02-02-2017, 11:44 PM

To add on, timing is still correct, just flashing.
During the flashing of time period, i cannot adjust the time when buttons are pressed.
Do you think it is still the fuse?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 PM

You may have wires that are frayed or exposed to intermittent shorting
Would still check all the fuses first and then do a visual inspect of associated wire harness

Old 02-04-2017, 05:02 AM

Hello. May i know where is the fuse or the name. I checked the engine bay and the coin pocket area. Found fuse diagram but not one indicate it is for the instrument cluster

Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM

30 amp fusible link and probably a 10 amp fuse
Don't have have a manual on your car
Suggest you get one to help you figure out your problem

Old 11-03-2021, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zheng Kaixiang
Hello All,

Am driving a 2005 Hyundai Matrix 1.6A FL. My instrument panel (Speedo, Tacho, etc) has been acting weirdly lately.
After parking for 1 day or so, when i start the car, my time starts flashing or does not appear at all, after waiting for 10 -40 seconds (Depending on how long the car wasn't started), the time stops flashing, and all needles start working. They remain working all the way while driving.
If car isn't parked too long (2-3hours), the next start up, the needles work straight away. Problem is on when car has been parked overnight. Once i went overseas for 3 days and they took 1 min or so to start working.

Self have taken out the instrument cluster, took out the connection, and connect back but to no avail.
Mechanic is lost as well. Any ideas?
l have a same model car and was made same year,had the same problems about a month ago.
l found out it's not about how many days you hadn't started the engine,rather,it's temperature related..
l found a180 uF 10V electrolyte capacitor behaving strangely,it all gauges to fluactuate up and down when outside air temp drops below about 28 C.Once temp rises after warmed up by parking uder the sun,then everything go back to normal.
Just get someone to replace the capacitor will fix it once and for all.
p.s.l ever measured the value of the said capacitor after putting in a fridge for 15 min,the capacitance measure was 190uF,doesn't run much from 180 uF.and there wasn't any short circuit between its terminals.
Hope my info helps,
S.C. Lai

Old 11-19-2021, 06:46 PM

Did u manage to fix it? I got the same problem

Old 04-30-2022, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by matt wy
Did u manage to fix it? I got the same problem
yes...