Engine swap on an 04 Elantra - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 AM

Default Engine swap on an 04 Elantra

So long story short, my 04 Elantra engine is seized and I need to replace it.
First question is: is there a larger engine that I can easily and cheaply put in to replace the stock I4 without much if any extra mods? Definitely not above used engines.

Secondly: how do I go about swapping it. I'm set on doing it myself, wether it's oe or not and I'm pretty new to doing mechanic work (but I have decided on such a profession, and must learn)
Also, the model I own is manual, will I have to worry about what kind of transmission the "new" engine belonged to? And should I go ahead and replace the tranny, or would it be okay to put that off for a while?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM

I have been in this profession for a few moons and there are times when you ask yourself what am I doing here. If you like being handed a problem and the challenge of solving it, this is the profession where change is happening so fast it is really a challenge to keep up.If you like it , it's better than work ,it can be very rewarding , but you need to resign yourself that you must keep learning and grow with it. Don't be afraid to read and there are many good videos on U tube. Some shouldn't be on there, but it is after all a free country. You sure picked a good project to start on !
Old 07-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Since you are "pretty new to mechanic work" I will take the liberty of advising you to seek help with this project. Replacing an engine yourself as a first project is very ambitious. The engine is heavy and tucked in tight. There are plenty of chances for injury. Take safety precautions serious. Make sure you are using the proper tools.
With that said tackling such a challenge successfully is very rewarding. Have fun doing it!