General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Alantra-Lots of problems, small ones i think.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Default 1992 Alantra-Lots of problems, small ones i think.

Ok, where do i start. I bought my son his first car, 1992 Alantra, i knew it was going to need some love as its been sitting in a barn since 01. we pulled it out, drained/replaced the gass cleaned it up ( literaly removed hornets nests from inside and from the engine compartment, and swept out the leaves and hey because the window had been left down a half inch or so)

after about an hour we got it started and it runs good (73k miles on it). there are however some oddities, the electric windows rolled down when the buttons were depressed, but wont roll up. i checked every fuse i can find, but their all good. door locks will unlock all four doors...most times which is starnge.
we had a dead clutch but after rocking it till we got it started the fluid from the resivoir must have cerculated as it should have because the clutch works well now. however after we turned it off, it wouldnt start. as though there was no juice to the starter, just nothing, no sound at all when the key was turned. After messing around with fuses/wiring/transmition we were about to give up, when on our last try, it started as before. so we turned it off and on over and over and the problem.... although quite debilitating seemed to have vanished.

1. so i guess my question is. what should i be looking to replace/pay attention to when one of these has been sitting for so long?

2. and the most important one. what do i do with the electric windows? we cant roll them up at all. does this mean the buttons themselves are bad? (i should mention that one of the windows started to go up, got up about half way and just stopped)
I think it strange that ALL FOUR windows are like this. will go down, but not up.

3. where does a guy buy parts for a car like this? not so much engine or runability parts, but door handles, bumper, electric window parts ect...

thanks alot for any help we can get here.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Default RE: 1992 Alantra-Lots of problems, small ones i think.

I would check the motors that run the windows....perhaps there is a central wiring through them all. My '01 Accent has manual doors and windows, but my fiance's GrandAm blew a window motor...it only affected the one though so perhaps all your motors are old, or stiff , or broken.
As for parts search, a great place to look is www. autopartswarehouse.com, or www.partstrain.com

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a window lock switch that was pressed maybe? Or maybe the wires are corroded.

As for the bad starting, since it doesn't click or anything, it's got to be the starter solenoid. I know on later models the starter is on the back of the engine by the firewall, just under the intake manifold; not sure about one that old. But if you can find it, maybe just spray some WD-40 on the moving parts; it couldn't hurt (don't use too much, though; I don't know how flammable it might be if there is a lot.)

For parts, try local salvage yards, and also ebay. I've bought several car parts on ebay now, and haven't gotten a dud yet. If you can't find it locally, you may try getting the salvage yard to do a search; they can tap into nationwide databases to find things. I know someone who used to workatGreenleaf Auto Recyclersand they havemany locations nationwide. He found some stuff from older cars for me.

To be honest, I bet you'd have better luck at salvage yards than people looking for later Elantras. I've seen some pretty old ones.

Since this sounds like a project for you, I suggest you register with Hyundai WebTech. It's free, and you can access Hyundai's schematics and shop manuals online. I wrote a guide on how to register and navigate the WebTech site: http://www.dfwhyundais.com/diy/DIY-WebTechGuide.html

Here's a sample- the window schematics for a '92 Elantra:

[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]Have fun![/align][/align][/align]

Old 06-15-2007, 07:05 PM

them old elantra were tuff cars -- drove my 92 right to the time i put it in junk yard- for your starting trouble be sure all connectiions at starter is good -and battery cables are good and tight- starter is in behind under the intake- check the timing belts- on them old ones if it breaks it smashes the head .

Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Same thing on the new ones. Considering how long the car has been sitting, a new timing belt is called for regardless of mileage! (Good catch.)