General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Sonata vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Default 2004 Sonata vibrations

Hi everyone,
I am torn about an issue I am having with a 2004 Sonata that I just bought. (4 cycl)
When I am stopped at a red light and have the car in drive, the steering wheel vibrates(and the driver seat).
When I put it in neutral, the vibrations stops.
It has been at the dealer for several days and the said they can't find anything wrong with it.
The car has 42,000 mile on it.
Anyone else have this problem? Is it just a harmless quirk?
Please help!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Default RE: 2004 Sonata vibrations

I have this same EXACT problem with a 1999 Sonata. No one seems to know what the problem is as well. A guy I know who owns a Mr. Muffler also told me that he owned a Sonata in the past and that these cars are considered "shakers." Apparently this same problem is also seen a lot in Mazda's.

I have been told different stories by different garages. Timing belt, fuel filter, injectors, air intake, sludge on pistons and in the air intake, etc... BUT nobody wants to guarantee the job to fix this problem. I personally believe that the reasons why they do not want to guarantee the job is because nobody knows what they are talking about. I even brought my car to a Hyundai dealership and THEY did not even know what was going on with this vibrating/shaking problem. Funny, Hyundai themselves do not even know anything about their own cars!!!

Basically I am coming to one major conclusion about Hyundai's, they are pieces of "you know what!" You pay a big price for something that is built extremely cheap. They are so fragile that you are scared to push their cars to the limit of the fear of breaking something else on them. But I guess that is what you get when you build cars in Korea??? In America we need American built cars. NEXT TIME I would suggest that you do what I will be doing on the purchase of my next car, buy an American made one! In my opinion Hyundia's are nothing more then a tin box with a weak and cheap engine in them.

Any ways... if I ever figure out what this shaking problem is I will let you know. But I doubt I will figure it out because not even the "so called" experts at Hyundai know enough about their own cars to firgure out what the problem is.