General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Elantra Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Default 95 Elantra Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Hello,
I am working on a 1995 Elantra with 1.6 DOHC engine and this car has already slipped time twice and now I know why. The tensioner is not being set properly cause it requires a special tool. My question is has anyone come up with a method to ensure it is tight without this tool or come up with a cheap homemade type tool? Also was wondering would it be easier to pull the engie to ensure it is set correctly or not? I have to pull the head of anyway since I have a couple bent valves as a result of this.
I really don't want to spend money on a special tool that I know will never be used again by me and so far haven't even been able to locate one either.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Default RE: 95 Elantra Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

I can certainly understand not wanting to spend the money. I hate when a special tool is required for a simple job. Did the timing belt break while the car was running? I have not to worry thus far since my Accent GT only has just shy of 8000 miles on it. I have heard too many horror stories about these timimg belts so I plan on getting my changed before I hit the 60,000 mark.
Good Luck,
Brant

Old 12-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Default RE: 95 Elantra Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

No it didn't break while running but slipped when I tried to start it and bent at least 4 valves that I can tell without tearing it apart. The story is got the car for free with the head already off cause it slipped time and bent valves before and they didn't put it back together. Well I got it back together and running and it slipped again after 500 miles. Should've known when I encountered the tensioner because the directions wasn't clear to me that is what happened to the last person that worked on it. The thing is when I put it together it was tight and thought it would be alright. If anyone can give me some ideas on the tool I would really appreaciate kit.