General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 tiburon. air bag light problem..

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Exclamation 97 tiburon. air bag light problem..

so i brought my car for a safety.. and he told me he cant do it unless the airbag light is off.... he explained to me that the airbag light will give you a code when the key is first turned.... well my airbag light flashes 7 times before it becomes permanetly on... i bought this car from my father and he explained to me that he thinks one of the plugs are unplugged and told me it was a yellow plug under my passenger glove box... now i found a kinda yellow plug but i cannot find anything anywhere close to it that it could plug into... my father lives in quebec and im in ontario so he cant look at it... and i dont have much money to put it through the mechanic.... does anyone have any clue as to whats going on... or even if you knew the lighting codes for the airbag light.... it would be greatly appreciated.... thanks again

Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Default Her is the program --

Turn the key to the on position...

SRSCM performs a self test every time it is powered up...

Indicator light will fash 6 times and go out if it pass self test.

If it flash six time, go out, then illuminate solid... system has a fault somewhere.

You need to visit dealer and have SRS module scanned, retreive the code, and work with the associated circuit related to the code.. DO NOT just go poking around with yellow plugs, as you are not trained in the inner workings of SRS.

Could any number of open/short, SRSCM internal failure, lamp circuit, buckles, spiral cable, squib(s), all kinds of expensive stuff..

If you do not wish for SRS, seperate the connector from the SRSCM.. system completely dis-abled

Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 PM

ok... thanks for the info very greatful... u wouldnt happen to know what 7 flashes mean do u?

Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 AM

When you turn key to the "ON" position, the SRS indicator flash 6 time / 6 seconds,,,,,,, it is doing self test, then go out when complete... it will come right back on if there is fault and stay on, untill you turn off ignition.

SRS codes are read out of the SRS module, not the warning light.